SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovecookie

Layout Sanity Check

ILoveCookie
10 years ago

For budgetary reason, we decide to keep the existing footprint of the kitchen, and re-locate appliances within this footprint to make the kitchen more usable. We are going to meet with our KD again in the next few weeks, and would like to have a sanity check before that. Would you please take a look at our changes below, to see if these changes make sense, and if not, what could / should we do instead?

I don't have a copy of the drawing of the new layout (will ask the KD for one during next meeting), so I will post a couple pictures of the existing kitchen, and describe the changes. Please bear with me. If there is anything we could / should change, please let us know, so we could bring it up with our KD during next meeting. Thank you very much!

Here is the existing kitchen:

Here are the changes we plan to make. The cabinets / countertop / appliances / sink / etc will all be new, except the fridge.

Fridge: remain where it is, 36" wide, will have wall cabinets above it.
Sink: remain where it is, will change from 36" two-bowl to 30" single-bowl.
Dishwasher: move to the right side of the sink, will be paneled to match cabinets.
Trash pullout: put it on the left side of the sink, will be 18" wide.
Cooktop: move to where the oven and microwave stack is, will install BlueStar 30" range.
Range hood: 36" wide, 27" deep, 30" above range, duct will run sideways inside wall cabinets.
Microwave: move to island, have it sit on a shelf under countertop, will face the sink. Will probably get a microwave with the controls along the top for easy access.

Pantry: replace existing pantry with countertop and cabinets, add a new pantry in the adjacent breakfast room.
Island: remove the lower section, keep the higher section where it is and possibly shorten it somewhat.
Seating at island: not critical; maybe have one stool near the fridge, facing the range wall.
Breakfast room: near the range. It's open to the kitchen and will have banquet seating for 4 people.
Dining room: near the fridge. It's open to the kitchen, and can seat 6-8 people.

Flooring: change to natural white oak to match the rest of the house.
Base cabinets: install 3-drawer base wherever possible.
Wall cabinets: flank the range; not sure if they also should flank the sink window? Definitely will have wall cabs between sink and fridge, as dishwasher will be there.

I'd like to hear your opinions. Thank you very much!

This post was edited by ILoveCookie on Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 13:08

Comments (17)