SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momof2princesses

So frustrated... Need a sanity check

momof2princesses
8 years ago

Ok, so we are in the very beginning stages of planning our kitchen renovation/expansion with a design build firm, and both my husband and I are getting really frustrated with how things have been going so I wanted to get a sanity check from people who have been through this before to see if we're being unreasonable.

Yesterday was our 2nd "design appointment" where we went to their office to see what they were proposing for the layout of the new kitchen, and they had 4 different layouts, two of which had elements that we liked but none of them were close on their own. We scheduled another appointment for the beginning of November to go back again to see 2 designs they narrow it down to based on our feedback from today.

The part that was bothering us is that the designer seemed really focused on little aesthetic types of things and was missing the big functional types of things.... At one point she asked if I liked this odd shape she had for the back of the island cabinetry and I told her I didn't really care about it one way or the other but that I didn't want it if it was making my aisles 40" wide (as proposed in all of her plans) which is narrower than the 42" we have now that we find to be a problem...

We also set up an appointment to go to a showroom 3 weeks from now, but I had shown her my Houzz ideabook so she had a general idea of what we like/want, and after my husband left the meeting yesterday she asked me to stick around to look at some sample cabinet doors, countertops, and floors. Unfortunately, she didn't have any quartzite or granite samples which is what I told her I want, she only had quartz. I told her why I don't want quartz and that I would need to see the natural stones in person to pick one. I also told her the the cabinet door styles/colors were close to what we were looking for but that we'd have to see the options from the actual cabinet maker to pick what we want.

Later in the evening she sent an email and I didn't have a chance to look at it or to look up the showrooms she told us she was taking us to until after my kids were in bed, but when I did I feel like I lost it with her. Her email said she was going to pick out some paint samples to show me for next time, and we looked up the showrooms she is planning to take us to and they are for flooring/backsplash tile. We haven't picked out our cabinets/countertops yet!!! How does she expect me to be able to pick our flooring, backsplash tile, or paint without having picked out cabinets and countertops?!? Am I being unreasonable? I feel like going to look at those things will be a huge waste of my time...

Comments (20)