SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taddseiff

Window price sanity check: dbl-pane argon in SoCal $786 avg per window

Wilbur Whately
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Ready to commit to a quote. We have a 1 story, <1000 sq foot house, 8 windows total being retrofitted, so not building our dream home here, but willing to pay for good stuff.

But there is a difference between paying for premium stuff and getting ripped. I feel like this is just a little high.

Specifically these are for Anlin Del Mars Infinite-plus glazing. They are not the top-of-the-line I'm told, but seems really good.

I've read the range for installed windows is approximately $300-$700. How does this compare to what others have paid for these? Am I right to feel that ~$800 per window is a little steep?

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    8 years ago

Reading what someone else has paid can be misleading. Without specific details on the market, install type, company, service history, as well as a host of other variables, makes pricing comparisons impossible.

How good is the company that you are considering? Installation details?

• Wilbur Whately
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I disagree with you, asking about a specific window (Del Mar) from a specific manufacturer (Anlin) in a certain region (So Cal) and job size (8 windows 1 story) is reasonably focused to get comparable responses.

Also my request is not to compare pricing, it is to see what others are paying as a sanity check.

That said, there are a few more details I can give you and I will update the question.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

I am not in the California market but jeffpad is. Looks like he can give you a bit more focused reply on the pricing.

I will see your disagreement...and raise you one more disagreement. Just being a bit facetious with you Wilbur but you haven't said anything about installation details.

There can be easily be hundreds of dollars of spread in two different installs. A simple frame jump on the install will run on the cheaper end. A full tear out, stucco cut back, and new construction install will be appreciably more expensive.

It still is an impossibility without specific details on install. Is it a frame jump? Is the exterior stucco? Wood out? Full Tear?

By your own admission, you appear to just be at the top of the pricing. My question about the company is how did they look to you?

There must be some valuation placed on a premium company with a great history vs. a "Chuck in a Truck" organization.

I have no idea who you are dealing with in either case but I am just pointing out where there can still be considerable variability in pricing, even when talking about the same window.

Post back with some more information and it looks like jeffpad will be a good resource for you here.

Wilbur Whately thanked Windows on Washington Ltd
  • Wilbur Whately
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I appreciate all your input, WoW. And I'll admit that most of the details you mention I intended to add into my original question but have not. I will do that now.

I will also explicitly add them here:

Company is one of the local large-volume installers, VERY good reputation, been around LA for decades (people in CA will know them)

Job is vanilla retro-fit. This is the price the sales guys gave me before leaving my house, before the measure tech came out to really assess, so I'm assuming this is pricing for nailing to existing frame, NO siding work AT ALL, he said, or as little as possible.

I don't know what most of the terms you threw at me mean, being a layman. Is this a frame-jump then?

• Wilbur Whately
    Original Author
    8 years ago

What? I can't edit/improve my original post? Dude....

OK, well, here are those details I was going to add

• Installer is high-volume, been around a long time, reputable
    • Pricing is for a vinyl retrofit. As usual, they never give the homeowner too many details, but what I gleaned from badgering them is that they want to see the existing steel frames, still waterproofed, etc, and nail to those, but, again, like usual they keep the customer in the dark about most of the details until you ask.*

Again, there is some nuance to what I'm asking, and I fear that nuance is too much for the interwebs. I'm not asking "is this a good price" or "is this worth it". For those, as WoW pointed out, the details are important. I'm saying "what have other paid, is this a sane quote".

If I'm in the middle of the spread, I'm happy. If everyone else is paying more for these windows, I'm really happy. If several people say they got these installed by "Chuck in a truck" for $700 a window, and I'm at ~$800, then I would probably accept this pricing. But if several people say they got these installed for $500-600, regardless of installer, I'm not happy and need to have a chat with my installer.

Does this make sense?

* (But I don't know what to ask! If I knew what to ask, I wouldn't need to ask!!!)

• PRO
    8 years ago

We would call a frame jump or vinyl retrofit what you are getting here. It is the most straightforward of the installation type that I mentioned above. As far as the pricing stuff for that type of install, I will defer back to jeffpad but this should help him give you some feedback.