SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chandraeggemeyer

Need a sanity check/opinion

Audley Enuf
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

My husband and I recently fell in love with a Parade of Homes home. We requested to meet with the homebuilder to discuss building the exact home in the country on some land had recently purchased. We asked for minor changes to be made to the original plan (switching the oven with the sink, adding a dogwash station in the laundry room, removing a porch fireplace, etc.) The house plan designer the builder worked with made the changes and sent them to the builder, who forwarded them to us. Fast forward a couple of weeks in which we were getting necessary infrastructure in (road, well, etc.) One of the contractors putting in this infrastructure asked who would be building our home. When we told them the builder's name, his immediate response was how sorry he was. This threw us into a tailspin. When we informed him we had not signed any kind of contract, he gave us the name of three others who had had less than good experiences. They all said the same, that that they would NOT have this builder build their home if they could do it over again. A quick search at the courthouse revealed three lawsuits, two of which had been settled in the favor of the plaintiff, and one settled in mediation. At this point, we immediately picked up the phone, called the homebuilder and told them due to unforeseen personal reasons we had to step away from the process and asked what we owed. They replied that we owed nothing. The following week, we met with a much recommended and different homebuilder who we found out uses the same house plan designer. We forwarded a totally different and more modest plan to the homebuilder to forward on to the house designer. It was apparent from the start that we had a tarnish on our reputation based off of what the house plan designer told the new builder. We told the new builder that we would be compensating the designer for the changes to the original plan. It seemed the original builder had not called her to tell her that we were not moving forward with them. Today, we received a phone call from the original builder, as the plan designer had called her to tell her we were moving forward with another builder. It was a tense call. We are now questioning what we should have done. We thought it best to do the "breakup" without going into all the details of nightmare stories we had been told in confidentiality by the subcontractor and other customers. We thought a simple "our plans have changed" was adequate, especially since there was no signed contract and we offered to compensate for any time spent to date on our project. It is a bit frustrating the house plan designer told them we were going with a different builder, but it seems she was not even told of our offer to compensate her for the changes she made to the original plan. We feel horrible, but this is our life investment. We meet with the new builder and plan designer in a few days, and are frankly dreading it. I am worried she will try to fish for info on why we changed our minds on the builder, and I just don't know how much info is appropriate. Did we handle this properly? I don't feel a lengthy explanation is needed for every situation, especially if it will lead to questions we could not answer (who told you that about us?!?) Now I just don't know. Thanks for any insight into what we should have done.

Comments (12)