SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
machanteuse_gw

Sanity check on new appliances and what sales people told me toda

MAchanteuse
9 years ago

We are going to be starting a major reno soon and part of that will include all new appliances. The laundry room is going to be moving upstairs. (We have a structural engineer advising us on reinforcing the floor, among other things. And we'll be looking for a washer that will minimize vibration.)

Of course, this week the motor on our washer (a Maytag from 2000) decided to kick the bucket. I thought I was going to replace it but DH convinced me that repairing it was the best option for now since I didn't know what I wanted to get and I was getting overwhelmed by the options.

I'm really confused based on what I heard from the sales people today. I'd love some opinions so I can try to sort out what I do want when the time comes.

First I went to Best Buy. Sales guy recommended LG and Samsung, since both have technology to reduce vibration. He recommended a top loader for upstairs.

Next stop Lowe's. Sales guy there said that LG, Samsung, Whirlpool and Maytag are all equally good and he recommends getting whatever is the best deal. He wasn't overly helpful and didn't say anything about front vs. top loader.

I went to Home Depot to check prices but didn't get any additional recommendations on specifics.

Last I went to the independent appliance store in our town. They've been around for decades, have a good reputation, and I've used them before for repair but have never purchased from them. He definitely wanted to sell me the Speed Queen, which I've read that people here seem to like. He said basically that LG and Samsung are crap. He didn't offer any opinions on other brands. (In my research, as far as Speed Queen, I couldn't find a lot about vibration, good or bad.) He also said no front loader in a second floor laundry room.

The other thing I asked about at the last store is counter-depth fridges. I'm pretty sure that's what we are going to want (without ice/water in the door), and I'd already looked there and I know they have a few on the floor. He said he recommends the Kitchen-Aid. I feel like from what I've read here, KA has gone downhill, so that surprised me. They have an Electrolux among others.

Thoughts? I've been researching this stuff for months and I still feel overwhelmed.

Comments (7)