SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Sherrmann: About the Anticancer book......

alisande
14 years ago

I didn't want to hijack the book thread, so I thought I'd respond to you here. You said:

Alisande, I haven't read that book, so maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think it does any good to "blame the victims" of cancer for not taking better care of themselves. He's probably right that the immune system has a lot to do with things, but living right isn't the answer to avoiding cancer!

Believe me, I lived right all my life, raised my kids as organically as possible having been raised that way, with plenty of exercise and no excess weight or alcohol, and, guess what....CANCER! The first member of my family to get it. I seldom got an ordinary cold (still don't) have no auto-immune diseases, low-blood pressure, not a single cavity in any tooth, so my immune system works just fine, except for cancer.

I'm certainly not pooh-poohing research and different approaches, but cancer is complicated!

It certainly is complicated, and the author would never suggest that his approach is a no-cancer guarantee or that victims should be blamed. He is a compassionate as well as a learned man.

The lifestyle he recommends has the potential to improve a lot of people's odds of staying cancer-free, though, and I would suggest that it would improve their odds of staying healthy in general. Some of the studies he cites--including one near the beginning of the book involving men with elevated PSA levels--are fascinating. I haven't read too far into the book yet, but one point he makes is that heredity doesn't play as major a role in cancer as most of us assume.

I'm so sorry you've had to deal with cancer. It doesn't seem fair, given your healthy habits, but I learned a long time ago that life is neither fair nor unfair. I hope you have recovered and will stay well.

Susan

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH