SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suz1023

making an offer and asking for a price reduction

Susan
14 years ago

i've fallen hard for a place on the lake and want to make an offer. it's been on and off the market for five years, price has come down dramatically, but it really needs a lot of work.

the house has no real heating system or any ac, and also needs a new septic system. it's a mid 80's vintage remodeled cottage--bathrooms and kitchen are useable but kind of yucky, i would love to rip them out and start over.plus it will need some new windows to take advantage of the spectacular view.

is it an accepted thing to offer full asking price with the provision that they discount the cost of all or some of these items? (in which case it's no longer the full asking price i realise!)

i have the feeling i would need to eat the cost of interior reno, but maybe i have a leg to stand on about the heating/ac and septic systems? the costs for those where we live will be around fifty thousand.

also, i don't particularly care for the listing agent who has shown me the property, i think i need a buyer's agent to assist me, could that be the agent who will list my home for me or a third party?

in any case, i'm going to go find a st. joseph statue this week and keep everything crossed, as well as continue to read this board for hours every night!

thanks for any guidance, i haven't bought or sold a house in twenty years and am both flat out terrified and thrilled!

Comments (10)