SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

2008 Quilt Retreat, anyone??

jennifer_in_va
15 years ago

I am looking at scheduling the 2nd annual quilt retreat at YMCA Camp Cheerio in North Carolina this fall. The camp's available dates are Sept. 4-7 or Oct. 30-Nov. 2.

The cost would be approx. $200/person including rooms (Thurs-Sat nights), 9 meals (starting w/dinner on Thurs), and meeting space. Travel would be at your expense.

I can provide lots more details, but what I'd like to know now is if we have enough people interested. We would need at least 8 people (spouses can come, too) to commit with a $40.00 deposit in order for this to fly.

Please let me know if you're interested. Here's the link from last year's post that provides lots more details and pictures.

Jennifer

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/quilt/msg1122484912823.html

Comments (51)

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The September date is looking good so far. Any takers? It was loads of fun, beautiful scenery, and great food!!!

• sunnycentralfl
    15 years ago

Here is another reference to the last retreat.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/quilt/msg080849315053.html
    and...

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/quilt/msg1016070430315.html

Enjoyed it and learned a lot, met great people, but ate too much! LOL
    Gwen

Here is a link that might be useful: 2007 NC retreat

• Related Discussions

2010 4th Annual North Carolina Quilt Retreat

Q

Comments (72)
    I'm sure there'll be a corn field just down the road. Few cobs roasted in the coals??? If temperatures continue to be cool (60s at night here) in the mountains, we just might want that fireplace!! Wouldn't that create great ambiance!
    ...See More

2014 Quilt Retreat-details

Q

Comments (28)
    Only 2 more days until we leave for Camp Cheerio! My sewing machine is ready to load into the RV and am still finishing up gathering my projects. I think it is easier to fly since you really have to limit what you bring! :) We head out Saturday morning and will meander south and east so we can arrive on the 9th. When I mapped it out, Tobey asked the crazy question of why are we going to Gastonia, NC??? I said to go to Mary Jo's, of course. He just laughed! Tobey said he would help tote things up and down the steps. We will have WIFI off and on throughout the trip, so I will try to check in! Jen, are you going to send out an email with everyone's cell phone numbers?? See you all soon. Sue
    ...See More

Spring Quilt Retreat, April 30-May 6

Q

Comments (38)
    Hi Debbie, and welcome.....waving from Florida. Join in on the forum fun....I'm pretty sure Beverly will be along and answer any questions. What fun this is turning out to be! I think the retreats started around 2006 or 2007 as my first time was 2008 and the next time was 2012. Even though my health isn't as though I could run any kind of race, it is now good enough to travel by vehicle and to stay where everything is on the main floor. Even my family perked up when I mentioned doing this. I'm even thinking about what mindless projects to take. lol
    ...See More

Quilt Retreat - Transportation Question

Q

Comments (4)
    I am driving to the retreat with a friend but because of uncertainty about traffic and navigation abilities, I decided to avoid Nashville by heading partway across Kentucky (off interstates) then heading south to I 40 E east of Nashville. Sorry. I just looked at a map and getting from the Airport to the retreat doesn't look too bad. because it's down in the SE part of the city and looks like fairly easy to get onto I 40 E. Sorry.
    ...See More
  • toolgranny
    15 years ago

Can I come play, too? There must be planes. I might have to bring applique work or something not requiring flying with a sewing machine. I'll start thinking on it. Either weekend.

Closest airport?

Linda in San Francisco Bay Area

• grammyp
    15 years ago

Linda we would love to have you join us. Can't help with the closest airport though.

beverly

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

I would say either Greensboro Piedmont Triad International or Roanoke airport would be the closest.

Teresa

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Toolgranny~ there are a number of us that can bring a machine for you to use if you wish.

If need be, I might be able to pick you up from the airport and travel with you...but keep in mind I have a baby coming that might squeak a bit.

jennifer

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Oh Boy! Wouldn't that Sept date be a nice BD present to myself....will have to think on this and figure out travel arrangements. @:)

SharonG/FL

• toolgranny
    15 years ago

Well, count me in. I'll be there somehow. Thanks for the offersof help. Will advise.
    Linda

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sounds like we're getting enough to make a go of it! Very exciting!!

I'll contact the camp and give them a heads up on the Sept. date.

Official reservations must be made by sending a check for $40.00 to Jennifer Plaugher (please make check payable to Jennifer Plaugher)(The camp only takes money from one person). Participants will be considered registered after receipt of the $40.00 deposit. This is a non-refundable deposit for each person (or spouse) attending.

Deposit of $40.00 per person is due no later than Friday, July 26, 2008.
    Final payments will be made the weekend of the Retreat.

IF THERE ARE NOT 8 PARTICIPANTS REGISTERED BY July 26, 2008, THE TRIP WILL BE CANCELLED AND ALL PAYMENTS REFUNDED.

If you intend to send a deposit check, please email me with:
    name & address
    phone number
    how many people you are bringing (& their names! lol)

Start packing girls!! We're going on RETREAT!!!!!

[I'm leaving town on Thurs. morning and will be back on Monday. Don't panic if you don't hear from me.]

• hootie3
    15 years ago

Whoo Hoo! A retreat! Come on folks. This is gonna be fun.

• toolgranny
    15 years ago

Jennifer, you have mail.
    Linda

• nanciii
    15 years ago

Wow Another retreat. I have been to one in March (Tomball) and have another on November the 7th (Texarkana). I think hubby would like to travel to this one too. Its 14 hours for me but lots to see along the way. Let me check and see what I can do. Jennifer I will let ya know before the 26th.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

If I can talk my DH into coming (as his BD present to me) what could I tell him the DH's do while we're doing quilty things? He would bring books, but he also likes to be outside and doing something. He's 73, likes to eat (but you don't want him to cook) and is healthy.

SharonG/FL

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sharon,
    The building that we quilt in has a wonderful covered porch perfect for reading or napping (lol). The camp has quite a bit of land with trails for walking.

The camp food is not normal. It's fabulous! One night we were there we had salmon, grilled veggies, and rice, I believe. Always with salad bar. One night was pork roast, if I recall.

I'll include a link to the camp itself. You can look around. I'm not sure of what activities the camp will be offering that week.

Maybe Gwen can chime in...her husband Rob kept himself well occupied last year!

[Click on 'Traditional Camp' on the main page...that's us.]

Here is a link that might be useful: Camp Cheerio

• grammyp
    15 years ago

Goody! Sharon and I can celebrate birthdays together. Check will be in the mail tomorrow. Come on Fran, Gwen, and Faye. Will Teresa be able to make it for part of the weekend?

Sharon, DH went last year but we brought the bike and he went riding. He spent a lot of time walking around and listening to audio books (aka sleeping). There is a tv upstairs and internet access (I think).

beverly

• wendyfaye
    15 years ago

Unfortunately, the Sept dates are a definate 'no go' for me but I highly recommend this camp, it is absolutely wonderful. I'm not not going for any reason associated with the camp or the wonderful people I met there last year. And I will confirm that the food is unbelievable.

You'll have a wonderful time!!

Faye

• sunnycentralfl
    15 years ago

Yes, Rob went with me last year and is happy to be returning! He did work on the laptop, read, rest, shot a few basketballs in the gym when it was available and came to look at our progress once in awhile. He enjoyed meeting everyone! It was all part of the fun. The food was GREAT and our snack table was even GREATER! lol!
    Faye, sorry you won't be joining us this time!...and I do hope Teresa can get in a visit, QSs can be so stressful.

Gwen

Oh, they did have wifi connection in/near the office bldg.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

DH said it was entrapment! lol I can get him to go, but before I commit, I want to make sure he's really ok with it.

Playing basketball in the gym is something he'd enjoy...for about 15 minutes. At least, that's how long he plays it with DGD. TV, internet access, reading, snoozing and a group of ladies who supply homemade goodies, what more could a man ask for?

Beverly, Great way to celebrate a BD, right?

SharonG/FL

Jennifer, I'll be sending you an email.

• grammyp
    15 years ago

Come on Sharon, lets go, it will be a wonderful birthday. I'm still taking special orders for snacks. If no one speaks up you will get mice again.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Jennifer...please email me your address so I can send you a check for DH and me. He's checking the road atlas as I type. YaaaaaaaHoooooooo

Beverly, I have a surprise for you! (grin)

Gwen, Did you and your DH drive last year?

SharonG/FL

• sunnycentralfl
    15 years ago

If all goes well, we hope to leave Orl on Aug 25th and be in NC for 10 days, then join the retreat on Sept 4. That is the plan for now. Got to get that check to Jennifer.

Have our GS this week! We keep him pretty busy and we are tired, but still love it. Grands can certainly bring lots of energy, love and laughs!

Beverly, I loved the mice! I request mice! Yum!
    Gwen

• grammyp
    15 years ago

Sharon, I love surprises! Do you have drive plans yet? Toolgranny is going to fly to Birmingham then ride with me. Details to be worked out, but that way I won't drive alone, which is good for me.

Mice it is. Are you getting the "sleep aids"?

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

We'll probably leave on the 3rd...don't think we can do it in one day since we don't usually drive after dark. What's the best route to take from Atlanta?

SharonG/FL

• grammyp
    15 years ago

You do have further to drive than I do. I think it will be about 6 hours from here. We didn't go straight to the retreat last year, we did a little bike ride on the way. I couldn't tell you the best way to go, DH got a GPS and I just turn when it tells me to. He said up 95 to Charleston then to 77 should be your best bet.

beverly

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Sharon, if you are coming by way of Atlanta, you want to head toward Charlotte, then take I-77 North toward Statesville up to exit #83 and then to NC 21 which will take you to the camp.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camp web site map/directions

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Teresa, I said Atlanta cause that's usually the way we head out of FL.....I never even considered another way might be possible. lol

I'll let DH know route suggestions and let him make the decision. Our fav neighbor has moved to north GA and they've invited us to stop by on our way back....we'd probably need a GPS for that one...if it's on the map. lol

I am so excited about this trip and actually meeting you girls!! I really never thought it would happen.

SharonG/FL

• fran1523
    15 years ago

I am so jealous, but there is no way I can do it this year. Glad it is all coming together for the rest of you though. You will have a wonderful time.

• grammyp
    15 years ago

We will miss you Fran. I will eat a mouse in your honor.

beverly

• sunnycentralfl
    15 years ago

Sleep aid is at the top of the list! Red ones or white ones? Thanks for the reminder!

Don't forget the game cubes, Jennifer!

Gwen

• grammyp
    15 years ago

I prefer white ones, thanks Gwen.

Yes, must have game cubes.

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Sleep aid????

SharonG/FL

• sunnycentralfl
    15 years ago

Just joking: it is so quiet and peaceful there no sleep aids are needed. Its just an inside joke from last reunion.

Gwen

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Beverly gave me a heads-up.....I should have figured it out. Now you know what a ninny y'all will be dealing with. @:)

SharonG/FL

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Jennifer, The check is in the mail. @:)

SharonG/FL

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm back in town....made it home last night after a 15 hour drive! Catching up on emails and postings. Will continue to work on planning on confirming things this week. And will keep everyone posted on plans.

~I vote for pink sleep aids but can bring that...
    ~Beverly, I also vote for banana bread...but please don't go overboard! LOL You did so many yummy things last year!

• sunnycentralfl
    15 years ago

Glad you are back - welcome home! 15 hr drive is tough - hope you had help!

Take your time on getting back into the swing of things!

Gwen

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gwen~There's no time!!! Retreat is only 7 weeks away!!!! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!

DH drove the 15 hours, my job was to keep baby Amanda content and not screaming! She does not like riding in the car...at least when she can't see me! I ended up in the back seat of a pickup truck with her for partway down and all the way back. It worked, but wasn't fun.

So far we're looking at the following activities:
    Lesson in applique, maybe
    Fabric bowls
    Left-Right-Center game with charm squares
    puzzle
    paper games (word search type games)
    Eating
    Sewing
    maybe a donation quilt for the camp....more to come on this!

If you have any suggestions feed them my way...

• grammyp
    15 years ago

I've had to ride in the back seat, not a fun experience (especially if you get car sick).

Do we have a final count on how many there will be (just so we can plan snacks and stuff).

beverly

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Current count:

Jennifer & Amanda (me)
    Beverly (grammyp)
    Gwen & DH Rob (sunnycentralfl)
    Linda & DH (Hootie)
    Linda (toolgranny)
    Sharon & DH (geezerfolks)
    Teresa (trying to come up for Saturday)

7 quilters
    3 husbands
    1 baby

as it stands...it's a go. I'm trying to call Shane today.

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Talked to Shane yesterday...we are on their calendar and he will be sending me a contract this week.

We are on the go!!! Any more who want to jump on the Retreat bandwagon???? It's loads of fun and food.

• toolgranny
    15 years ago

bump

• sunnycentralfl
    15 years ago

I'm getting excited for the next quilt retreat !!! Looking forward to seeing gals from last year and meeting the new gals and DHs and baby Amanada!

Gathering up projects to do while there! Hope I sew more than I eat! LOL

Gwen

• toolgranny
    15 years ago

Sew? Sew? I didn't know sewing was involved. I thought it was all about eating!!

• grammyp
    15 years ago

I'm getting excited too. I'm so ready for a treat, just for me. I plan to eat, sew, visit, eat, sit on the deck, eat, play games, sleep, eat, sew. If there is time perhaps a snack or two.

Anyone else want to join in the fun? I have games and prizes!!

beverly

• sunnycentralfl
    15 years ago

One month and 1 day to go...

Gwen

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    15 years ago

AAAAAAaaaaaaaHHHHH!

• grammyp
    15 years ago

It will be just fine, Jennifer. Even if we just sit and eat. Are you sure no one else wants to join the fun?

beverly

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Sit and eat, a little handsewing, a lot of talking, a few mini lessons....I'm packing already. I know my machine will fit in my largest suitcase! I've done it before! lol

SharonG/FL

• squirrelywhirley
    15 years ago

do you have any space left for the camp cheerio quilt retreat? did you decide on a date? i'd love to join you!!

• jennifer_in_va
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Squirrely~
    Camp is set for September, but I'm sorry....the contract with head count, etc. has already been submitted. Perhaps another one will be scheduled next year (or somewhere else) that you'll be able to attend.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County