SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

2014 Quilt Retreat-details

jennifer_in_va
9 years ago

Hi everyone! Here�s the ultimate scoop about the 2014 Camp Cheerio Retreat.

Retreat will be held Thursday, October 9, 2014 through Sunday, October 12, 2014. Our first meal will be dinner on Thursday, and we will stay until lunch on Sunday (or whatever time you must get on the road).

Due to conflicting schedules (on the camp�s behalf), we will be staying in cabins on Thursday night. These cabins each have 8 sets of twin bunk beds, so that�s 16 beds if we don�t sleep up top. These are communal rooms with shared bathroom facilities. We will need to provide sheets and blankets (quilts, lol). Those of us travelling can take care of these needs, I�m sure.

On Friday, we will be able to shift to the Lodge, with our usual motel style rooms (bedding and towels provided).

We will be able to use our normal upstairs space in Sloan Center the entire time, so there will be no need to relocate sewing stations. Yay! We can set up things on Thursday and be comfortable the entire time.

On Thursday & Fri-day, we will be sharing camp with "The Seniors". Usually, we share the weekend with the Indian Guides and their Dads.

Cost for this all inclusive weekend should be about $225. I have an email out to get the exact amount, and to see if I need to collect deposits prior to the trip. I will collect check or cash payment the last morning of Retreat.

We will be playing Left-Right-Center throughout the weekend, so plan on bringing 15 neutral, 5" charm squares (whites, beiges, creams). ALSO, bring 3 FQs in neutrals for a Grand Slam L-R-C game!

We will not be exchanging little gifts with each camper like in the past (unless you really, really feel pulled to do so). But we WILL do one Chinese gift exchange. Plan on bringing one larger (approx. $15) gift to exchange. Please wrap this or conceal it in some way. We will pick numbers and exchange in order with the #1 person having first & last choice to swap.

Remember to bring a few leaf colored scraps for your quilt leaf. I think a 4-5" square should be plenty big. If you don�t remember, I�m sure we�ll have plenty to pick from. We will be adding these to our "Quilt Tree" wall hanging that was started a few years ago.

Also, think about bringing a block (or stuff to make a block) for the Fall Lotto!

Everyone is welcome to bring Show & Tell. We will share amongst ourselves, and then usually on Saturday, if the weather holds out, we do our own "Sister�s Quilt Show" on the railings of our sewing space. Makes for great photo opportunities! These could be items you sew at retreat, or anything you wish to travel with to show off! Could even be grandma�s quilt that�s been handed down through generations!

We generally have a very impressive Snack Table! If you can/want to, bring something to share. Beverly has a few unforgettables that always come. If you are flying and wish to make a request, please do so. Those of us driving will be more than happy to provide!! Given how much we usually have left over, one item from each person should be plenty.

-I usually bring a case of water to share. Hot/cold tea & coffee are always accessible in the dining hall. If you wish something different to drink during the day, bring it (or ask someone to pick it up for you).

We maintain a cooler of ice in our space for general use. BRING A DRINK CUP!!

Packing: There will be 2 centralized cutting stations with mats, cutters & rulers provided. If you have a favorite tool, please bring it along. And if you wish to have a personal cutting space at your own table, provide for yourself. (It�s a good idea to mark all your tools.)

There will also be (at least) 2 ironing boards/stations set up, and two portable design walls for everyone�s use.
You might think about the following:
task lighting
extension cords
rulers, cutting tools, mats
all the general notions
sewing machine pedal!
projects, instructions, fabrics, templates, etc. (WiFi is spotty; don�t count on accessing the internet for directions)

Extra machines: If you need a sewing machine and haven�t already made arrangements, please let me know. Beverly has 1 extra; I have 2 extras, and we can dig up more if need be.

Weather could be anything. We�ll try to give you a local report the beginning of that week. Might be hot, cool, chilly, rainy. Hard to say�we�ve had it all. Bring a sweater for sure, and walking shoes.

I will start a list of those coming in the next post. Let me know if you plan on coming. We will need to watch numbers for the Thursday night bed-count.

Jennifer

Comments (28)