SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

Is an older contemp style a bad investment?

robo (z6a)
9 years ago

Taking my inlaws to see a lake house (vacation home) on Friday.

It's a home by a specific builder in my province (Nova Scotia) called Interhabs. The builder has a very particular look to their houses on the outside - let's call it 80s Euro contemporary.

The location and lot are beyond excellent. The home itself could use quite a bit. I was sort of happily thinking of all the things I could do to spruce it up, when another thought struck me, which is that this type of home may never appeal to a wide range of buyers, and maybe it wouldn't be worth much to spruce it up. I mean, it will never look much different on the outside!

I think I'm blinkered by my love of all weird houses, so I ask you, do you think this type of home is worth a bit of an investment? Or will it always appeal to niche buyers (like me) and have a hard time selling no matter what?

FWIW the builder has a great reputation. There are some contemporary houses, particularly vacation homes, in our province, but the market is generally conservative.

The Listing

The type of house (a different house)

Similar model after being spruced up

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

The area - full of vineyards and charming things like llama farms. So what do you think?

Two nearby listings

On the same lake

On a different lake but nearby. Inlaws didn't like this one because it's on a terrible road (other listings are off paved road) and oriented poorly to the lake.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 21:55

Comments (17)