SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
franksmom_2010

Would you buy from a criminal?

franksmom_2010
10 years ago

Long story short, we found a property that we're very interested in for a number of reasons. This would be a weekend/investment place, so NOT a primary residence.

We were looking at the tax records, and saw the owner's name. We did an internet search, and it turns out he's currently in jail, and has warrants out in several counties for a variety of felonies. None of these are violent crimes.

We did several other searches to make sure that this is really the same person selling the property, and we're quite certain that it is.

My main question, is that other than the deal falling through on his end (for whatever reason) what risk would be involved in buying from this guy? Assuming we did all of the other due diligence things like a title search, etc., what steps could we take to protect ourselves from all of the possible scenarios? I'm thinking it would be a good idea to at least involve a real estate attorney.

My mind is kind of racing with all of the (bad) possibilities. DH thinks I'm overreacting a bit.

Comments (15)