SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_c

feeling bad about buying a house that has tenants

kristin_c
10 years ago

We are looking for an older house under a very low price range but with some remainder of charm left/restorable, and in our area the fact is that many of these houses are rental properties that are listed for sale with tenants currently inhabiting.

Having been a renter in the same place for a long time, and having been displaced suddenly once due to a sale, I'm deeply uncomfortable with the idea of buying a house and then booting someone unceremoniously out of their home. My heartstrings especially ache when I see some variant of "longterm renter prefers to stay" in the listing.

Our RE agent says that's very kind of me but the fact is that someone is going to buy the property and kick then out anyway. I was under the impression that these sorts of properties were aimed at the investor who would take over renting them and might even prefer to leave a steady, paying tenant in the house. Is this not actually the case?

I'd rather this not turn into a thread about the renter's legal rights and the difficulties/ways of getting them out before or after closing. There are a couple threads about those topics already. I know those issues can present their own difficulties but mainly what I'm interested in knowing is does a rental property being sold usually result in the tenants being displaced? Would buying a house for our own family use not be an outlier in that sense?

Thanks!

Comments (19)