SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lanaroma

House Beautiful: 10 Decorating Trends Hot in 2013

LanaRoma
10 years ago

Not sure if this has been discussed here before, but I'd love to hear everyone's take on the trends professed in HB.

1) Brass is in;
2) English florals like Colefax and Fowler's patterns;
3) "Organic" modernist kitchens;
4) Photorealist fabrics;
5) High gloss, lacquer and polish are in;
6) James Mont's style is in;
7) More art!
8) Bright and saturated hues;
9) Men are getting involved in decor: more sophisticated man caves;
10) Vintage and period furnishings are in.

My approach to trends and fashions is that it's up to me whether to adopt an idea or ignore it. No need to follow the trend I don't like. Let the industry work hard to produce things I'd want to spend my money on.

I flip through books, magazines and webpages and cherry-pick ideas, whether it's an American 70's catalog, a book on French Art Nouveau, Craigslist furniture ads or the latest issue of a Russian interior design magazine.

So, here are my picks from the 2013 trend list:

1) Brass! The room I'm converting into my office will have an old brass and leaded glass chandelier along with patinaed brass inserts, knobs and pulls on the furniture. Should be fun.

BUT: the chrome in my LR, DR and entry will stay. Black metal in DH's home office will stay too. The bedrooms will remain mostly old bronze. I like variety throughout the house. Yes, I know it isn't what the pro designers say, but it's my home!

3) Organic modernist kitchen. I like the kitchen in the picture so much more than the granite-stainless-matched cabinets throughout look. Will definitely keep the original Formica butcher-block countertop and bronze pulls in my 70's kitchen.

5) and 6) Will look for some glossy modernist pieces as accents, but use them sparingly. Maybe add a bit of Mafia chic a la James Mont in my DH's home office just for fun?

10) Vintage pieces - check. Got them and love them!

What I won't be likely to adopt:

2) English florals. I like them in the store/catalog, but they won't work in my home;

4) Photorealist fabrics. Just can't see a place for them in my interiors. Since it's a new concept, I'd wait and see how it works out in other settings.

7) Not going to shop for more art. What we have is enough for me.

8) Bright and saturated hues. I'd like some color but not too garish;

9) My DH leaves the decor to me 100%. Not going to see him decorating his own home office anytime soon.

Your take on the trends? What would you love or hate?

Here is a link that might be useful: House Beautiful Hot Trends 2013

This post was edited by LanaRoma on Sun, May 12, 13 at 19:18

Comments (34)

• rosie
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Been there before. Largely been there still, could be happy to at least consider sumptuous florals again. They are so lovely, but you're right--they do not go with the unisex, straight-lined, motel-simple, inflexible sort of organo-trad-mod "fusion" look that's been in for so long. (Nice, but you can see I'm tired of it.)

They don't mention my single biggest decor feature--books. More in in spite of everything, out because of everything. "What are books?"

Nor do they mention Middle Eastern rugs, really big in the past, and I really suspect they would be on this list except that we've made it illegal to import from Iran. Plus, nationalism and even dominionism might impact sales, and it is about profits after all.

In any case, could never have too much art, or at least never not interested in bringing in something new. As I get older, THAT's likely to be the change I'm most intrigued by, with less and less interest in transient furniture and fabric looks.

That is to say, I'm now old enough to know why Grandma kept the same living room furniture for her last 30 years or so. Eventually even the grandchildren were too old to jump on it and push her to finally say goodbye to old friends. :)

• stolenidentity
    10 years ago

Here is my take on trends: YAWN

Trends are not usually to my liking and certainly are not worth the energy be hating them.

LOL - House Beautiful is it's own yawn of a trend!

• Related Discussions

Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2013 #10

Q

Comments (55)
    I was living in town when Mr. Walski was giving talks about the wild turkey project. Although the article describes the CT River valley, I think there were other release sites that weren't mentioned. I thought our town was one of them because of the corn, apples and water. We don't have apple orchards any more but although we are down to one dairy farm, a neighbor has quite a few beef cows (and lots of manure). We used to enjoy seeing the turkeys roost in pines along a corn field. As day was ending, they would gather and one by one fly up into the trees. The cattle farmer made improvements to the field since years of not keeping up with things let trees encroach on the field. About 100 feet of pines were cut back. There are plenty more pines but too much heavy equipment activity. The heavy equipment is now parked a distance away and finally we saw three male turkeys in our yard and then exploring the corn field. Last winter we counted as many as 60 coming down from the pines to see what they could get in our yard before making the tour to other places. I don't recalled seeing blue birds in winter before but this year we probably have 8. I counted 4 females and one male picking up suet scraps and thistle seed. We do not have nesting boxes up so I have no idea where they nest but it is probably somewhere behind our house. Thanks for posting the wonderful pictures. A friend has been getting some good shots at the Nashua airport and posting them on facebook.
    ...See More

10 decorating trends you wish would go away, yea or nea??

Q

Comments (39)
    I'm sorry for your loss, Joyce. Evidently everyone who stages a kitchen for a photo shoot. lol I wasn't including staging in my comment. My comments were for real people with real homes. Yes, fleur de lis and "bling." Like Donna Decorates Dallas, or whatever the name of that show was... ugh. I wonder how much time people with open concept spend cleaning up these areas in order to take pictures they want to post on GW. Rarely do I see pictures of a "lived in" open concept space. lol See my post above - I am a neat freak. The house is neat unless DH is home, but I don't think anyone wants to see his feet on the coffee table. If I needed to pick up for pictures, it would take less than 2 minutes. Neat freak... nicer than saying a bit OCD. Another trend I hope at least evolves is the ALL WHITE everything. OMGeez, yes! Or a room or house all shades of gray. I guess I've never been a trend-follower. Instead of buying the latest thing currently trending, I'd rather have my money in savings. I'm not criticizing anyone who does, that's just my lifestyle. I do like trends, and love seeing all the trendy decorating here on GW. Antlers, taxidermy, etc have always been around. I've had my collection at least 6 years, and only started seeing them scattered in Veranda, Southern Accents and Architectural Digest (and in local antique stores) a few years before. A few years before that, I saw plenty in Europe. I am tired of the white porcelain versions someone mentioned. I agree everyone should save, and if not debt free should be working towards it.
    ...See More

2013 Christmas Tree/Decoration Pictures

Q

Comments (127)
    holly kay...i know i speak for most everyone when i say that YOUR pictures of your lovely home, decorated for the holidays is just one more reason to smile and feel a deep sense of happiness at the beauty you have created within you own home, and your willingness to share it with everyone... i have marveled at how lovely and how much loving attention everyone has put into creating a lovely environment for themselves and their friends and loved ones to enjoy this holiday season..the reason for the season is to share the love of family and friends and whatever effort we gave to enhance this...your home is lovely and warm and i am thrilled you posted up your pics for all of us to enjoy right along with you! merry christmas to you and yours!!! and THANK YOU
    ...See More

What is In and Out in the Kitchen: 10 Trends to Watch

Q

Comments (29)
    I have seen the "white cabinets are going out" predictions since 2000 when I decided on antiqued cabs for a prior home. White and off white cabinets will go out of style when 2 story farmhouse type homes go out of style, when porches go out of style, and European styled homes go out of style. But people building custom still chose those styles in a home, are they saying inside these homes are contemporary kitchens? Many newly built european stylized homes have marble or stone and white cabs and chandies, and many people are still liking these styles. These older classic styles are always supposed to be going out giving into new contemporary styled homes. The thing is they seem to outnumber the amounts of new contemporary stylized homes. At least from the outside, it would seem if youre style leaned towards contemporary you would build somthing that had a contemporary edge from the exterior looks. Maybe they have numbers to say theres a trend away from whites, but theyre classics nevertheless. Classics dont go out of style. Even the antiqued paint look in cabinet finish is still around, and I consider that a classic. Antiqued painted furniture is still popular. A centuries old tuscan villa in France just wouldnt look the same with contemporary cabs, theres room for all tastes and some homes are better suited to a touch of classic style in the kitchen. I would never let those articles sway me to go with dark cabs if I really wanted off white. Sometimes I think its just a marketing tool to get everyone to rip out their perfectly lovely kitchens to go with something new so the industry keeps business rocking.
    ...See More
  • palimpsest
    10 years ago

I don't think there is anything on the list that is all that new or bound to be short-lived except the photorealistic fabrics. I don't know whether that will have a long term appeal or not. I did photorealistic wallpaper in a client's powder room as kind of a joke a few years ago now, and I think most people hate it. I don't know that people will embrace that one.

But the rest of the list just seems like a natural progression of the cycle, there is nothing there that is so jarringly different as to be off-putting.

I am not sure that James Mont will have a wide appeal to most people either...deco-chinoiserie yes, but to the intense, sometimes ugly extent of Mont, I don't know. It's cool to look at, but I don't know that it mixes well with other things.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I always crack up at these "trends" articles as usually only about 10% of it is right....I've seen articles where they list the top X trends and one trend will say red is in and the next will say red is out.

I still remember from way back in the 70s, seeing a fashion trend article in Glamour that predicted that blue jeans were out...they had run their course and were completely passe. Hah!!!

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I think that the word "hot" or "trend" has just been over used. They used to say "decorating ideas for spring" , now it has to be "hot".

The purpose of a decorating or design magazine is to inspire ideas or provoke thoughts...if they didn't present something new every month what would be the point of publication? On the flip side of things half the letters to the editor are complaining about the "same thing" being published over and over, and they are so tired of nothing new.

You can't have it both ways, and either way it makes someone unhappy. If you talk about what's new, you get accused of trend chasing, if you don't,your boring.

• LanaRoma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Everyone has such interesting things to say!

Rosie,

Ditto on books! We've got lots of them too. Even our dining room hutch holds books. Speaking of rugs, are there any Oriental rugs other than Persian in the US market? Mongolian, Central Asian, Caucasian or Turkish imports like in Russia? There are so many Oriental rug styles out there.

Sasafras,

Agree on House Beautiful magazine as a whole. They wouldn't dare to bring up something revolutionary. But they're good at reiterating classic and traditional designs - safe, eye-pleasing and comfortable.

Palimpsest,

You nailed it right about the purpose of decorating/design magazines and the natural progression of the cycle. It seems that the idea of photorealistic fabrics and wallpapers evolved from trompe-l'oeil. Trompe-l'oeil was used by ancient Greeks and Romans, and apparently became popular in the Baroque period.

Speaking of James Mont's style, I think he adopted a lot from Italian design traditions. That's why his designs were so popular with Mafia people.

American MCM is quite different from MCM in Europe. My parents still have a MCM DR/LR room set made in Germany and several MCM pieces imported from Czechoslovakia. Straight modernist lines combined with high-gloss polished/lacquered finish. Very different from the Danish Modern style popular in the US.

I've seen some Italian MCM pieces. Again, very different from Central/Eastern Europeam MCM and American/Scandinavian MCM. Unfortunately, the American literature on MCM mentions little or nothing about other regional MCM styles except Scandinavian.

AnnieDeighnaugh,

So true about failed predictions! Those fashion and decor magazines are surely taking risks trying to predict trends. But that's why people read them since they want to keep up with trends!

Here is a link that might be useful: Italian midcentury modern furniture

• madeyna
    10 years ago

I think a trend they missed is bright colors. I think people are tired of the earthtones and adding really bright pops of colors to liven things up a bit without doing a whole room makeover. I have been watching for a particular pillow to come back in and ask sales person when they are getting more in and she commented on the bright colors flying out the store esp. the transitional ones like I,m looking for( bought on waiting on them to get another one) the transitional ones have the earthtones in the background and bright colors worked in . In this case dark olive green background and huge bright yellow ,orange and purple flowers.

• annie1971
    10 years ago

And what about the poor dumb schmuck, like me, that always seems to be on the cutting edge of a downward trend! OR, the "trend" blows by so fast I missed it completely. Good, classic taste is always in and I'm trying to stay within those boundaries, even with my eclectic taste.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Well, even tho I say I don't follow trends I'm always pleased when something I like and have is deemed to be a trend, even a 'hot' trend. LOL

So my antique and vintage brass is now in.
    Art I always like and will continue to collect but how can art in general be trendy or not trendy?
    Love bright colors.
    Have lots of vintage furnishings.

So I guess I'm 40% trendy this season! Or perhaps 60% not trendy! Either way it doesn't mean anything really. There will be something new coming along before long and I can again play this little game to see how trendy I am. Also that is only one magazine's/decorator's/designer's take on the trends for this year. Others will have different opinions.

I like threads like this as I always learn something - this time it was Colefax and Fowler which I'd vaguely heard of but it was fun to see some of the bright colored and outrageously luxurious fabrics in some of their collections. The name I'd never heard of was James Mont and all I can say is that he was an interesting character I'm glad I never met. :D

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

James Mont did not believe in restraint. And he murdered somebody.
    {{gwi:1705991}}

• bronwynsmom
    10 years ago

For over-the-top, I much prefer Tony Duquette or Ryan Gainey ...

Of course the design mags are in the business of getting us to toss out the things that are So Last Friday and start over by buying all new things - but change is refreshing, and some group of people will find just the style and look that resonates with them in some cycle yet to come. And each cycle does bring some fresh looks at old ideas, and some new ways of combining things, or adjusting to changing technologies, or shifting from one phase of our lives to the next.

Besides ... it's FUN!

• LanaRoma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Madeyna,

I think they did mention bright colors. It should be interesting to see if the cycle progresses and people embrace more color variety and saturated palettes like they did in the 70's and 80's. Wonder how long it would take for neutral beige/white interiors to become "dated".

A couple of years ago we considered moving to a better school district. It was a neighborhood developed mostly in the 1900's-1940's. Lots of bungalows that were given a facelift before being put on the market. 90% of the houses in our price range had kitchen cabinets painted white. It drove me nuts. Thankfully, we got an inter-district school transfer and stayed in our old place!

Annie1971,

That's how I sometimes feel about trends too. By the way, this brings up another question: what would be considered a "classic" taste in home decor? After all, there are so many styles: Victorian, MCM, Art Deco, Art Nouveau, Tudor Revival, Colonial, country/rustic, Baroque, Biedermeier, etc. Would there be a "classic" Baroque, "classic" modernist or "classic" Gothic Revival, for example?

Luckygal,

I figure out I would be 30% trendy this year. LOL! I think there are always some trends in art collection. My in-laws at some point were into modernist prints (in the 60's-70's?) DH said something about the abstract art being fashionable at the time. On the other hand, a certain formerly ignored genre of Russian paintings (pre-1917) has become quite popular with wealthy people in Russia now.

Palimpsest,

James Mont was quite a mobster, wasn't he? This cabinet is monstrous! I think the silvery/pale gold version of the carved bamboo cabinet looked better than this one.

Bronwynsmom,

I Googled Tony Duquette and Ryan Gainey: their designs look interesting! I suppose they have more of the Victorian/Baroque opulence flair. You're so right about finding one's perfect personal style, as the cycles come and go.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I have to laugh at vintage being "In." I don't think it ever went out.

What bothers me about the website is they don't show pictures most readers can relate to. Other than the kitchen, give the readers examples of the items used in rooms.

Lana, although I have a white kitchen and white beadboard, I will be SO glad when other colors are being used. I'm sick of every magazine I get showcasing white white white.

A long time ago on Country Living's facebook page they showed us a room that was very nice. I made a comment asking if we could see a room that's not white. Me bad. lol

• bsmith1
    10 years ago

In the article, the point about vintage being "in" quotes Bunny Williams: "'I hope people start looking at period furniture again -- beautiful old pieces to mix with modern ones. Why pay $12,000 for a new chest of drawers when you can buy a gorgeous handmade faded mahogany thing at auction for $1,200?"

*blink*

Um, lady... you're the only one dropping 12K on a new dresser. A lot of the rest of us spend that on a CAR.

• awm03
    10 years ago

Oakley, that"s exactly why I let my subscription to Country Living lapse a couple of years ago: so tired of "Paint It White," like it was their version of the Rolling Stones' song. ("No colors anymore, I want them to turn white...")

Funny to see some of these things on the HB Hot Trends list when yesterday I was throwing out old Colonial Home magazines from the late 90s: plenty of brass, floral fabrics, historical furnishings, and shine & polish.

I still like HB. Maybe they aren't considered cutting edge, but what they present is still done very, very well. And, unlike Country Living, HB features a variety of styles.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

People who work with designers like Bunny Williams *will pay $12,000 for a dresser, though. I know someone who spent about $100,000 on master bedroom furniture. It's not common or typical, but people do.

• bsmith1
    10 years ago

pal - You're right. I know these people exist, and I suppose I was mostly being sarcastic. But I think I'm also feeling a little frustrated at some magazines and blogs that present these kinds of mindsets to the general public (their readers) as if we can all relate. As if those are the budgets of "everyman", and in so doing, attempt to plant a little seed of ... inadequacy?...or of trying to keep up with the millionaire Jonses.

Ok, off my soapbox now. :)

• bronwynsmom
    10 years ago

I like what Bunny Williams said. It reflects her very eclectic approach, and says, "Even if you are ridiculously rich, why be a sucker?"

Besides - old money, what's left of it, traditionally sticks with the tried and true, and often pinches the pennies. I'm not sure I'll ever forgive Martha Stewart for outing all the secrets of tag sales and Brimfield.

On the subject of House Beautiful, I love their color features, and they have done a masterful job of working into digital media, but I find it a little overwhelmingly confusing. Probably my age, and my generation.

And the latest editorial change hasn't been an improvement, in my very personal view. Louis Oliver Gropp was one of my most admired gurus, and Stephen Drucker's disciplined editing was right up my street.

Oh, dear - I seem to be starting to whine about change.
    So all of you who are under 60, please consider the source!

• awm03
    10 years ago

I loved Louis Oliver Gropp! He edited the late great House & Garden in the 80s, my favorite monthly indulgence and retreat into fantasy back then. Then Anna Wintour took over, changed it to "HG" and killed it with silly articles on Princess Gloria von Thurn und Taxis ("Princess TNT" So wild and charming --- barf!)

And I miss Stephen Drucker's vision too.

This post was edited by awm03 on Wed, May 15, 13 at 12:13

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I agree with Bsmith. These decorating magazines are published for the "everyman." We are the ones who keep them in business so they should make an effort to at least try to relate to us.

Suggesting we spend $1,200 on an old (not antique) chest of drawers is absurd. Or buying a James Mont piece.

It's little things like that which causes me to let my subscriptions run out, especially in this type of article.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Well, I think that shelter/design magazines are kind of like the professional sports or Olympics depending upon what the magazine is.

The ideas are something to aspire to and be inspired by, but we may have to do so at a lower or less professional level.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I don't think $1200 for a vintage piece of furniture is outrageous at all. It depends on what it is.

And I disagree that decorating magazines are for the everyman. The everyman doesn't read House Beautiful as a source book.

It never ceases to amaze me to have clients who will spend hundreds of dollars a month on cable and drop $200 a pop on consumables at Target but think you should be able to buy any piece of vintage furniture for $50 or a high quality brand new sofa for $700. I think THAT is absurd.

This post was edited by palimpsest on Wed, May 15, 13 at 12:19

• tashasilvester
    10 years ago

Are you looking to freshen up your home with simple and easy makeover this year? If a green accent wall intimidates you, opt for more subtle touches that incorporate the shade into a larger design. Its easy being green.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Also, this is about Fashion and Trends. It's not saying there is something the matter with you if you don't have it.

Hermes bags at tens of thousands of dollars are popular with celebrities and the wealthy and they are shown in fashion magazines, and they definitely influenced lower tiers of fashion but what's the matter with Discussing it?

How interested would you be in looking at a fashion magazine where All the models fit the typical American woman profile of 5'4" and 160 lbs.

Of course magazines and articles are needed to Address these typical women, and there are magazines and articles that DO, but I don't think people would read Elle or Vogue if this was all there was to look at.

Why should Every design article be about cheap ideas?

• sochi
    10 years ago

I confess to a bit of an addiction to shelter mags, or house porn as I call them. I agree with Pal that "The ideas are something to aspire to and be inspired by, but we may have to do so at a lower or less professional level."

There is nothing wrong with inspiration, in fact it is vital for me. Most of what I'm inspired by I can't afford, but the magazine images and articles do help me find a direction, and usually provide me with a starting point. I particularly appreciate magazines that may showcase an expensive iconic piece or two in a room, then show several interpretations of that space with lesser priced pieces.

I rarely agree with all the trend lists I see, but they are usually fun to skim. Lanaroma, here is my take on this list:

1) Brass. Don't have any. Still suffering from brass overload from the '80s. But I'm working on my prejudices.

2) English flowers. Meh, not quite. But I'm looking at some modern type florals for my bedroom drapes.

3) Organic "modernist" kitchens: I hope I have one! I think I do at any rate, so I'm down with this one.

4) Photorealist fabrics: Hmm, I wasn't sure what this was, so I'm behind the times here I guess.

5) High Gloss, Laquer, etc., - I'm surprised about this. I would have thought that this was dying out in favour of more matt finishes - high glass kitchen cabinets have been popular in the magazines I read for years and years. I like them.

6) James Mont - I certainly do not like the piece Pal posted!

7) Art! Absolutely! I'm all for art where there was never art before. Very broad category though, I don't think art has ever been out, certain styles perhaps, but not art generally.

8) Bright and saturated hues - I'm all for them, bring them on. I have a few.

9) Men. Hmm. I'm still bitter about DH's choice for our kitchen cabinets, so I'm not sure about this one.

10) Vintage and period - again, like art, I don't think this has ever been 'out'. Specific periods, yes, but not as a general category.

ps. what Russian interior design magazines do you like??

Thanks for posting!

• bronwynsmom
    10 years ago

Palimpsest, I'm right there with you about what people will and won't spend money on. Knock off the $6 lattes every work day for five months, and there's your $1,200.

Our recent reduced circumstances have made me exquisitely aware of what things cost, how little value is in so much of what is offered, and how thoughtlessly I sometimes spent relatively small amounts of money, without thinking about how it adds up, back in the flush times.

• LanaRoma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oakleyok,

So agree with you on the overabundance of white! White is an easy color to match other decor.

Sochi,

I was surprised too about the gloss and lacquer coming into the vogue.

Earlier this month Awm03 posted a link to Kips Bay Decorator Show 2013 on GW - my thanks to her for it!

The interiors on display clearly showcased most of the trends listed in HB. I'm re-posting the link from Awm03 here for everyone's convenience.

- Brass? Check. Both in vintage/antique patina and shiny 70's-80's versions;

- Bright colors? Check. Althought the bright teal bathroom isn't exactly my cup of tea, it still fascinated me at first. After some thought I conceded that it could make sense to do a small space like a powder room or nook in a bright color to add some "pop" or intrigue to an otherwise restrained house.

I like the curtain and rug in the entryway design. They bring an otherwise cramped and dark space alive. The curtain would be a perfect solution for hiding a large storage unit for footwear, umbrellas, bags, dog leashes and coats on hooks or shallow shelves.

- English florals? Check. The wallpaper in the lady's writing room is so pretty, it makes me dream about a small weekend cottage decorated in the style!

- High gloss, lacquer and polish? Check. My favorite is the dining table with the black lacquer top and MCM-style chairs. It's probably nostalgic because the table reminds me of the 60's Czech-made sideboard and bookcase in my room back home in Moscow. They were topped with black opaque glass, had glossy walnut veneer doors on the fronts and polished oak on the sides edged with thin brass piping. MCM meets Art Deco.

- James Mont style furnishings? Check. There are some lacquered pieces that clearly allude to his designs, although they are more restrained in comparison.

- Art? Yep, it's definitely present there. :D

Bsmith1,

You make a valid point about being able to relate to the designs in magazines. My view is that there should be a bit of everything for everyone.

I would add to the opinions by Palimpsest, Bronwynsmom and others that the shelter magazines give us a chance to peruse interiors designed by pros. We can't afford the high-ticket items they feature, but we can learn about paint color combinations, textile patterns or mixing and matching different styles

The other day I went to a garden tour featuring several million-dollar estates. The proceeds from the tickets went to the local schools. I would never be able to afford the lavish landscaping, but I appreciated a chance to look at the work done by pros. The plant combinations, spacing of features, types of plants for different sun/terrain conditions, use of stone, etc. There was a landscape designer available for questions at one of the properties. Besides, it was a beautiful day for a walk in the gardens!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kips Bay Decorator Show House 2013

• awm03
    10 years ago

"We can't afford the high-ticket items they feature, but we can learn about paint color combinations, textile patterns or mixing and matching different styles."

Exactly, and that's why I enjoy them so much.

• LanaRoma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sochi,

I'm back at my computer and can look up Russian interior magazines for you now. I don't have favorites since I live in the US. When I visit my family in Moscow, I leaf through whatever my mom has lying around.

Here are some magazines that seem to be popular in Moscow. Since GW doesn't allow multiple weblinks in one post, you'd have to copy and paste the links in your browser. Of course, everything is in Russian.

Salon (Салон) - high end design, more traditional style:
    http://www.salon.ru/

Salon.ru has an interesting feature on interiors of Embassies in Moscow - France, China, Thailand, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Belarus, Brazil, Norway, Gabon, New Zealand, Great Britain, Turkey, etc.: http://www.salon.ru/interior.plx?&rid=361&p=1

Interior + Design (Интерьер + дизайн) - high end design, more modernist and avant-garde style: www.interior.ru

Ideas for Your Home (Идеи вашего дома) - DIY oriented and mainstream: http://www.ivd.ru/

My mom's favorite: My Beloved Dacha (Моя любимая дача) - country weekend homes and gardens, a staple of Moscow lifestyle: http://ldacha.ru/

I find that home design in Russia is far more experimental and diverse than in the US. Modernist and avant-garde designs are popular, as well as various Baroque, Art Nouveau or Art Deco revivals. Lots of fantasy ethnic or rustic inspired decor. Below is a link to a interior design agency in Moscow. They showcase different decor styles that apparently are in demand there. It's a high-end decor, but a lot of it trickles down to the mainstream.

By the way, are you from Sochi? :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: High end Russian interiors

• sochi
    10 years ago

Спасибо, lanaroma. I had a complicated past with Sochi at one point, but I've never lived there. I lived in Piter, spent quite a bit of time in Moscow too.

I thought I would try to find ones the Russian magazines online, Интерьер + дизайн looks interesting, as does Моя любимая дача. My tastes run modern, and I'm building a small dacha later this year, so both could be fun.

Thanks again.

• bsmith1
    10 years ago

To clarify, I wasn't balking at a $1200 price tag for a dresser, but a $12,000 price tag.

I look at shelter mags for inspiration as well. Maybe it was just Bunny's comment that rubbed me the wrong way. Perhaps if she'd said, "Why should one of my clients spend $12,000 on a new dresser when they can get a gorgeous vintage piece for $1200," I probably wouldn't have thought anything of it. Her use of the word "you", however, made me analyze the idea as it applies to me, and apparently hit a vein of irritation.

For what it's worth, I'm just at the end of a long saga of buying and selling a house and moving. So it's entirely likely my fuse is shorter than it should be. :)

• LanaRoma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sochi,

You're welcome! I visited Piter many years ago and loved the city. I should plan a weekend trip there next time I travel to Russia. My friends told me Piter had improved so much over the past decade or so.

Bsmith1,

You're right that Bunny should be wiser about the word choice. Sometimes I get frustrated about the cost of those beautiful things I see in the magazines too. Hope you'll enjoy decorating your new home!

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

bsmith, I understand, someone else said $1200 was absurd.

For good or bad Bunny's experience is within her own context.

I had a very circular and confusing conversation with a patient one day about the inconvenience of flying and the increased chances of catching cold from flying (because of recirculated air).

He was very confused about what I was talking about. "Oh.", he said, "Sorry...you are talking about commercial flights. We've had a family jet for so long that I kinda forget what flying with other people is like." Before you paint him as an elitist snob, though, he was actually quite nice and fairly down to earth for a billionaire, but he didn't remember what it was like not to be one, really.

• Rajrang123
    10 years ago

wow its beautiful,I really love that. Thanks for Sharing....

Here is a link that might be useful: Wall Hanging