SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhb22

It's porch and yard time! (PIC heavy)

nhb22
13 years ago

Last fall, I started a thread for GW members to show off their yards in full fall color. I think someone else (or maybe I did it) started threads on porches last spring, and Christmas decorations this past winter. I thought it would be fun to post our porches and yards again this year. I'll start.

I have updated my porch with some decorating touches this year. Looks so much more inviting. I plan to buy a metal sculpture from BBB for over the lamp table wall. The only other things we need to work on, is resealing the stained concrete. It's dull. And, if I can talk DH into it, I want to stain the wood frame a cream color. The wood really needs it, as it is drying out.

{{gwi:1620365}}

{{gwi:1705230}}

Some of the changes

Added new frog pillows to sofa (Hope it's not too much pattern? They were so cute that I couldn't pass them up!)and new green pillows to chairs (see above)

{{gwi:1705231}}

{{gwi:1620371}}

Added an umbrella to the patio and turned the table.

{{gwi:1705232}}

Porch accessories besides the new pillows (a take from the interior accessorizing thread)

An oldie but goodie (my daughter made this in ceramics)

{{gwi:1620377}}

Small Tabletop Water Feature

{{gwi:1620373}}

Grapevine Candle Holder

{{gwi:1705233}}

Pots with Basil (I may a couple of more herbs, but for now I like the topiary look of the basil...smells great!)

{{gwi:1620367}}

I turned my hanging wire baskets into candle baskets. (I was tired of watering and having the mess on the porch when water leaked through and petals fell. Love the way the light twinkles at night. I plan on getting large scentless column candles before my next gathering.)

{{gwi:1620375}}

And finally the yard!

Moved my hanging plant hook and added my Finch feeder so that I can get a good look at the colorful birds

{{gwi:1705234}}

A before photo and looking forward to see my Clemitis blooming again on my iron gate.

{{gwi:1705235}}

I also planted geraniums all around the patio, but they are too small to show up at this point.

Back yard bed (has 3 knock-out roses and some Peonies. I just planted 5 Lantana and we transplanted some Lilies. On the side yard, I planted Hydrangeas and Mondo Grass.)

{{gwi:1705236}}

Front bed w/Hostas- left side

Front bed w/Azaleas - right side (these have struggled)

{{gwi:1705238}}

Show me what you have done this year to enhance your porches and yards. :-)

Comments (60)

• tomorrowisanotherday
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Everything looks wonderful and inviting!

What is the plant in the back between the hostas? Is some kind of sedum or is it the hydrangea you mentioned? They all look fabulous!

• Oakley
    13 years ago

It's pretty sad when your screened in porch looks better than my living room! lol.

Are you in a neighborhood with acreage? The scenery is drop dead gorgeous!

We still haven't bought furniture for the new porch which is ashame because it's one of those big, deep porches. All we have are two benches and a planter for now.

But I do hope other's share their porches!

• Related Discussions

Pictures of my yard from the past week (pic heavy)

Q

Comments (26)
    Vera, You're scaring me! :-) "Big Head" is definitely going to be cut for flowers or the point before it goes to seed...most definitely...and then, it's getting watched real closely for signs of "bully-ism". Tiffy, The big leafed plant with the purple edge is Coral Bells Purple Palace (at least I'm 90 % sure it is). I did WS Ligularia "Othello" last year, planted it out in the fall, but I don't see it at all this year. I'm not sure if it survived. I did two other types of Ligularia this year, one was "clivorum" rather than "dentata". That one has a little sprout and I'm nursing it carefully (and afraid to transplant it yet. I probably should just go for it and put it out-- but out of all the seeds in the packets for the two different varieties, I only have one seedling.) PV, The shade garden is just starting to do it's thing...the white Astilbes are just starting to come out. I figure the shade garden will be ready for a picture in a day or two. I'm thinking of getting some white Stargazer lillies to put there and move the pinkish/orange ones to the patio bed. What do you think? Drippy and Rosepedal, Thanks so much for the comments :-) I do like that Malva...it's one of the things I can depend on popping up and giving me something nice to look at while I wait for other things to bloom. I have Mystic Merlin seedlings, but I'm still trying to figure out where to put those. I don't want to put them close to the Zebrina because I had Zebrina before, and it seemed to meld into looking just like the Zebrina the following year. Funny how that happens. (I hope it warms up for you, Barb). Linda
    ...See More

Yard/Garden Pics (pic heavy)

Q

Comments (20)
    Thanks so much everyone. I really appreciate your kind comments. I-like-to-grow: Yes, I did make the hosta leaf stepping stones. Here is where I purchased the mold: http://www.moldcreations.com/Hosta-leaf-concrete-or-plaster-mold-1250-p/1250.htm I would love to create more beds in the back, but those very large trees you see are all maples. The hostas planted around the fence are all in spin-out bags. Those can be expensive....lol I wish I could just dig a hole wherever I wanted to plant one and stick it in the ground. I can on the side of the garage, but not in the back. Thanks again!
    ...See More

Image Heavy - My front yard garden - Part 1 - 15 pics

Q

Comments (8)
    Julie, the hostas in the urns stay there year around (at least for the last two years including the two winters). But I can do things that people in most places, including most of MI and WI, can't do. I live on the Keweenaw peninsula and we have lake effect snow... big time! Last winter was mild. Only 163 inches of snow. The winter before we had 288 inches. In both cases, we maintained an average 30+ inches on the ground at all times. So the tops of those urns were under an additional 15 or more inches of snow. Heaving and winter kill is definitely NOT a problem here! That's the only thing I love about all that snow :-) Julie and Linda, the aegopodium (Snow on the Mountain) was here when we bought the house. It doesn't seem to have spread at all in the past two years, so maybe it just doesn't like conditions here all that well. The vinca and generic stella like daylilies are much more problematic as they seem to pop up everywhere. The vinca is pretty, but there's just too much of it. The daylilies are in the shade and never bloom so they are not something I want there. i-like-to-grow, we started a hen and chicks (sempervivum) collection last summer. There was a great place that we ordered from online. They had a huge variety and really good prices. I've been searching this morning but couldn't find the url to pass on. I can't imagine I didn't bookmark it somewhere, so if I find it, I will share :-) On the other hand, collecting hen and chicks will NEVER be like collecting hosta! At least not for us :-) They are just a great extra dimension for the garden and are easy to grow!
    ...See More

Part II - Easter/Spring has Sprung on My Porch! (pic heavy)

Q

Comments (10)
    Thanks, holiday-ers...yes, I am doing better each day (DH, too)...coughing is not gone, but much less, thank goodness! I want to get outside in the gardens...but weather must co-operate, too! jane, yes, this is a 3-season porch & we have a little electric stove heater that we can use & open up the sliding doors to the DR when GK's come home to play! We love the porch...it's almost as old as house...40 yrs. ranch style ...but finished off inside, carpeted cement floor, paneled & replaced windows in the last 10 yrs. or so. And, yes, Jane, that single pc of Depression glass is all I have from G'ma's...it is pretty...I must look up the pattern name again...it has pink glass spoon, too. (can't remember if I added that later?) Thanks, Marylee... & yes, Purplemoon, that totem does look like a bird bath...I got the 2 glass birds at StVincentDPaul, the heavy aqua glass dish at a GS & the 1 pc bottom at HLobby...when I made it. luvs, punk & nana...Dollbaby can be a pistol, all right! Yeah, now she wants to be out there playing, too! Glad you enjoyed her. And the "door" cabinet is my fav pc out there...just an original & reminds me of my sis' old farm house. Thanks, holiday-ers! Jeanne S.
    ...See More
  • doonie
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! I love the frog pillows too! We are in the process of building an open covered porch. Your post is very inspirational. I'll keep Steinmart in mind. Where did you get your patio furniture? Is the fabric Sunbrella?

Your plants look luscious. I love the hostas! I am so itching to be aplanting...

• cliff_and_joann
    13 years ago

Simply stunning...It's an inspiration.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Natal, I'm confused (which is not uncommon LOL). Was there a problem with your mom's azaleas? (You said another issue?) I am not familiar with Korean azaleas, I'm going to look that up. I am in Zone 6. Where is your mom located?

NHB, is your clematis blooming now? My white one is and it's fantastic. It has larger blooms than my purple one and it is so snow white - it's gorgeous even at night when the lights illuminate it. My purple one blooms a little later and I have a sweet autumn clematis that blooms late summer. Tiny little blooms on that one.

tina

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

natal - No nearby outlet, but I have been looking for solar lights for my umbrella, so the frog is a good thought.

When I said my azaleas have struggled, I meant that it has taken a while for them to get to where they are. The frost got them year before last. I thought this last winters weather would get them, but they seem to be thriving. I should probably fertilize, but have no idea when, with what and how much. lol

tinam61 - All my neighbors azaleas have bloomed and gone. Mine just came out...late bloomers. My lone tomato plant is blooming and is in one of those hanging pouches this year. Thought I would try that for a change. It's on a back tree. My purple clematis on the shady side of the house is in full bloom. The one in the above photo has not begun to bloomed yet. Looking forward to seeing your photos!

nikkia2112 - We do have a special view. Rolling hills, cows, horses, and unfortunately because our property backs up to county property, we get smoke from an occasional controlled rubbish fire. Our neighbors burned one yesterday, and someone called the fire department. I looked out to see firemen converging on my yard. Scared me to death until I saw them continue on down the fence line and to the neighbors field. Then I saw the smoke.

tomorrowisanotherday - Yes, I have two Autumn Joy Sedum planted there. Will move those before next season. I have three down near the driveway entrance. I love them, and the dried flowers make the best cutting arrangement. The hydrangeas are below that wall on the side of the house.

oakleyok - As I mentioned previous, our property backs up to county farm land. We live in a golf course community, and right across from a # hole green.

I am sure your home will come along just fine. It takes a while to get a new home established. Ours is almost 4 years in the making. Enjoy your porch!

doonie - believe it or not, we got the porch furniture from Target. This will be the 3rd season of it's use. The fabric has faded a tad bit because we get the strong afternoon sun. It would not have been my first choice in color, but we were on a budget. The furniture has held up really well.

Thank you, cliff_and_joann.

Am I the only person sharing?

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Oh Natal - I see the *issue* now - missed that in the first post! So, please disregard my question. LOL (Just disregard me today - I told you I was confused!)

tina

• rjinga
    13 years ago

very nice NHB...how on earth do you get those hostas to loook so lushious? I have some in shaded areas around here, and they come back each year but never get very big!!!

I wish I had an enclosed patio...a must in the next house we buy!!

I just got some new to me patio furniture (wicker/resin) and am wondering however I'm going to keep the red cushions from being pink by the end of the summer....

I am going to post another help me post soon on how to best arrange my patio's...maybe you'll see it and chime in with your ideas...

How lovely and inviting your whole set up is there...

• barb5
    13 years ago

"It's porch and yard time..."

Oh, how I wish!!! Two nights ago it went to 24F and last night to 28F. Have been up setting up and running sprinklers in an attempt save blueberry blossoms that are about 2 weeks ahead of time because of unusually warm weather earlier in April. Have lost about a third of the strawberry blossoms even tho we set up 4 layers of row cover.

I was hoping to have the porch set up earlier this year, but it looks like it will be the usual Memorial Day project.

• sheesh
    13 years ago

Well, I've never seen a more perfectly misspelled word in all my born days! ....hostas to loook so lushious? That is exactly how those hostas look - LUSHious! Just perfect! You coined a good one, rjinga.

As for the porch and property, well, it's beautiful. Just beautiful.

• dakota01
    13 years ago

Is your porch wall material stucco?

Your patio/porch and yard look wonderful ! You are so lucky to have views of your neighbors cows & horses.

• carriem25
    13 years ago

Being in Zone three, there is nothing here to see yet - we had a snowstorm only ten days ago! Our trees and lawn are just starting to green up, and it is still a little early for bedding plants (unless you are a gambler...).

But your yard is beautiful!

Carrie

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

rjinga - I saw some free patio furniture design software pop up somewhere on here yesterday. I'll look for your thread and would be glad to give ideas.

barb5 and carriem25 - That's a shame that y'all are still having cool weather! Luckily, we didn't have any damage this year. Suppose to be in the 80's today!

Thank you, sherrmann!

jeannie01 - Yes, the walls are stucco, like most of the house which is also brick. DH and I had a disagreement on what should go on the porch walls. He wanted to use the painted Hardy Board shingle like we had at the last house. While I love the look of the painted shingle, I didn't think it looked right with this house, which has more of a Mediterranean feel.

Well, I have a big computer project going on for a friend, so I will check in periodically when I get a chance.

• natal
    13 years ago

Oh Barb! I hope the ice insulation worked!

• rjinga
    13 years ago

ha, ha, got me on that one sherrmann...too bad GW doesn't have a built in spell check!! OK, I spell checked it and those hostas, still LOOK luscious ;) and LUSH

• queenofmycastle0221
    13 years ago

As usual, I am drooling! I love Frogs and have a few items myself but my outdoors needs so much help this year and with my new job, I have no idea how to get it all done.

You have a beautiful outdoor space! So inviting!
    Alicia

• barb5
    13 years ago

Thanks Natal, me too!

The strawberry blossoms you can tell right away- they turn black in the center. If there is a way to tell about the blueberry blossoms, I don't know it. It is a wait and see.

If were we able to keep the blossoms at 32F they should be alright.

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

I'd love to see more pix of porches though I love NHB's (new house and old house). The frogs are so cute.

My cousin-in-law is going to start trimming out the porch (perhaps today) with the white PVC we bought last fall, we also talked yesterday about pulling down the wavy vinyl beadboard ceiling and putting it back up (running the short way, he wants to put plywood over the joists to have something to nail the BB to), adding recessed lights while we're at it. I got the lights, priced out the plywood and (hopefully matching) more BB in case we run short cutting it. Labor is going to be the big expense even at "family" rate. I wish I had been able to convince the builder to come back and run the BB the correct direction when I asked him 2 months after we moved in. I'll start a new thread about spacing. But after we get the reconstruction done, including the stone walls (and maybe all the wicker furniture out, though I only made 1 cushion!) I'll post pics. Should be around ummm, 4th of July LOL?

Barb - I just walked out, most of our blueberry bushes look good, lots of blossoms/buds, so I hope this will be a good year and they didn't freeze. The laurel has lots of new growth and some pink buds too, so maybe nothing froze here. We're pretty close together, aren't we? Sorry about your strawberries.

• natal
    13 years ago

AJsmama, we have beadboard/V-groove on all porch ceilings. It runs the length of the porch on the longer porches. Why do you want it running the short way? It only runs that way on our smallest porch.

Since you're tearing things out you might consider a couple ceiling fans if you don't already have them.

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

natal - what kind of BB do you have and how is it supported? All my neighbors have it run the other direction, my cousin and cousin-in-law says that's how it's supposed to run, they only know of 1 guy (builder's own house) who ran it the way ours is b/c of time crunch and says it looks as bad as ours.

I'm not sure we need ceiling fans - it does get hot out there but when it's that hot out we go inside (AC) and mainly it's the floor that gets hot, not the air. If it were a screened/3-season porch I'd consider it but I like the recessed since they won't show and won't contribute to light pollution (we would like some light for enjoying the evenings, but we'd turn them off for star-gazing since we have incredible night skies - no light pollution here yet!).

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

camarodreamer67 - Thank you!

Real bead-board can be run long ways (see my ceiling.) The vinyl needs to be run short. It is too flimsy to run long. We had it on the other front porch and hated it! Good idea to put up the backing board. Ours had nothing and the wind would get up under the vinyl and knock them around.

Someone earlier asked about how I keep my hostas so lush? I don't do anything! They get a little more sun than they are suppose to (actually do better than the hostas I have on the side of the house that gets only limited late afternoon sun) and they get water every other day from the watering system. That's all! I have always had great luck with hostas. Here is a photo from my other house. These got very little morning sun.

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

Actually, since there's going to be a solid backing I don't see any reason we can't run it the same way it's going now (long way) since we can nail it anywhere. No cutting saves labor and material. I'll ask. Cousin IL didn't come today - we're going to try this w/e or Monday (rain tomorrow) to get the front skirt and risers trimmed out. Ceiling will have to wait til a nice w/e so DH will be here to help lift/support the plywood. Maybe next w/e?

I might have pix to post by Memorial Day (w/o blue striped cushions)!

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

I envy people with lots of sunshine! (and manicured yards!)
    You have to like the color green, birds and crawly things to enjoy my yard and porch.
    I admit I did think twice about posting these because I did not dust and finesse the porch and pretty up the yard before I took these. It is what it is - but does look better in real life!
    I have inserted 5 pics but only one is showing up in the preview, let's see what happens....
    If the side of the drive pic shows up, that is what I have been working on. Bringing in more rocks from the creek and fallen logs from the woods to terrace it. Grosbeak is at the kitchen window. Screened in porch faces the back and the creek which is a raging river after last nights storms.

Dusty porch

• PRO
    13 years ago

side of drive

• straitlover
    13 years ago

NHB, about the azaleas and fertilizer - I just planted some, and the info I came up with said to fertilize after the blooming is over. They like acid. I jsut bought some Miracle Gro for azaleas & camellias (the blue box, not the green). Some people don't like using MG; there are soem organic things you can buy, saw it at Lowes.

Pretty place! The fabric on your cushions looks very similar to the cushions I bought this season at Lowes.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for that info. I have a Camellia on the side of the house. The first year I planted, the frost got it. I thought it was dead, and it has suddenly come back to life! It's about 16" tall, but no blooms, yet. I will be sure to get the Miracle grow for both.

deedee99 - I love it! So peaceful in the woods, and with a river running by. Heaven! I have lawn mowers running beside my porch.

BTW - I got a warning from Photoshop that I am about to meet my bandwidth limit, so if my photos disappear, they will be back in a month. By then, I can post how my plants are doing. lol

• PRO
    13 years ago

Thanks nhb! Love yours too! b5, I am wishing you kinder weather.
    I did just go down and dust the porch and plump up pillows a few minutes ago. It's still a "very rustic" retreat.....:)
    I was brave enough to post my "as is" porch. Who's next?

• hoosiergirl
    13 years ago

This is our new screened porch we had built the end of last summer (we're LOVING it this spring)! I haven't really decorated it yet, but it'll get there VERY slowly but surely!

I still haven't gotten around to painting the daybed frame, but it's on the TO DO list:

Our landscaping is being put in a little at a time, so everything's still in baby stage. The pretty tree is our new (last year) Venus dogwood -- LOVE it! For Mother's Day, we started putting up the lattice I've wanted since we built the house three years ago:

• hoosiergirl
    13 years ago

And we are definitely going to paint the frame around the lattice white -- we're just now installing it, so that will be next on the list!

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Here's mine. As you can see, I'm sorely lacking furniture on the deep end of the porch, but we're going to paint the benches eventually. My dh made them. In his spare time he makes benches for people's cellars.

But I'm so proud of my flowerbed, I planted all of it last summer, and most of the plants came back. The smaller one's I put in recently, and on the porch you can see where I have more to put in!

By the end of summer I hope I can't see any dirt in the flowerbed! lol

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hoosiergirl - It's good to see the finished product from the inside. Looks like you have a lot to work with. :) I loved helping you with that moc-up before construction. Your lattice looks good, as well. And that dogwood is in a perfect spot!

Remember my mock up for an outside pergola for my house(see below)? It's still in the planning stages. We had to put it off when our daughter announced her wedding for last fall. Maybe next year, IF we stay in this house.

{{gwi:1705246}}

oakleyok - Lovely...you should be proud! I also like your topiaries around the front door.

Benches for cellars? Do you live in tornado alley?

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Deedee! I LOVE your view and area! I much prefer natural to manicured. I guess ours would be somewhat in between as we are in a rural, partly wooded area. Lots of trees, wildlife, etc.

NHB I had forgotten about the pergola plan - hope you get to do one. Would be pretty easy to build. We had to partially redo our arbor - thanks to wisteria (which is now gone, see my rose post LOL).

I also meant to ask you (NHB) the name of your brick. It looks very similar to ours, which is Aztec.

tina

• PRO
    13 years ago

What draws me to all your beautiful yards and porches is the fresh and airy feel - which is hard to obtain in the woods. That being said, I am fantasizing about my porch with a much more "cottagey" feel. I did have it built for dh's b-day a few years ago and don't know how much he would appreciate that decor, but luckily he usually lets me have my way without too much of a fuss. What is in there now are things that really had no home elsewhere in the house. It is comfortable and functional. I am appreciating the inspiration from everyone's pictures so far!

• barb5
    13 years ago

Beautiful porches, everyone.

Wonderful garden Oakley! I spend so much time planting veggies in rows, that I yearn for time to spend making a pretty flower garden.

And Deedee99, I absolutely love your porch. It is like being in a tree house!

• hoosiergirl
    13 years ago

NHB, I remember your help, and SOOOO appreciated it (and still do)! Did you ever see the exterior pics? It's STILL not finished (have to stain the deck skirt) and we have just started on the landscaping so it looks kind of rough, but it's getting there!

• hoosiergirl
    13 years ago

Deedee, I love your porch! I think it just needs a punch of color here and there to liven it up a bit. I'll bet that's a nice, cool spot even when it's hot out.

Oakleyok, I envy all your gorgeous color!

NHB, I agree your framing would look wonderful stained cream, and a pergola would be heaven there! Would you grow a vine(s) over it?

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

hoosiergirl - I drool every time I see your porch and deck. I'm partial to dogwoods too. Your "babies" look nice, before you know it they'll be grown LOL. It's amazing how much our boxwoods and Siberian cypress have grown in just 2 years.

oakley - your flowerbeds look lushious LOL. What do you have for plants? I'm totally different zone, but I need color! Everything's just green right now. At least I got purple (says blue but really purple) petunias in the baskets I hope to hang soon.

The white skirtboard is half done, CIL had to go to fire but hopefully it's a small one and he can finish this afternoon. Funny, at least 2 fires here (maybe 3?) this AM and it poured last night. Was supposed to T-storm this afternoon so maybe we won't get skirt done today.

Porch is looking so good I may post pics once he finishes the other half of the skirt, not wait for ceiling, stone walls, or decorating! Though you've all probably seen the mockup.

Speaking of mockups, I really like the pergola. Don't think I'd ever seen that pic b4. You should build it and have the wedding there.

• PRO
    13 years ago

Oh my, more beautiful *WHITE* porches. You're all going to cause me to go on a shopping spree!
    Agreed on a punch of color for my porch. I'll be dreaming of fabric swatches tonight.

• hoosiergirl
    13 years ago

Deedee, just adding a few potted flowers or hanging baskets will give it a little zing! It has good bones!

• natal
    13 years ago

I envy people with lots of sunshine! (and manicured yards!)

All that sunshine can be overrated ... especially during a drought (ongoing here) and when it makes shades necessary to enjoy the porch. Not a big fan of manicured yards either. It's more fun when the rules are relaxed. ;)

Deedee, I like your porch. It reads cool and comfortable. Bet you see a lot of bird activity. Allison has a natural screened porch too. Hers evokes a similar feeling.

• pps7
    13 years ago

newhomebuilder, what a great cozy space you've created... feels like you are inside a living room.

deedee99- love the woods!

Some great spaces here for inspiration. We haven't even moved in yet. But I'm really excited about our covered patio.

The bump out on the right is for a future outdoor kitchen. For now it will be a nice place for our grill.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tina - My brick is either General Shale Salem Creek Tutor or Spaulding Tudor. Cannot remember which.

hoosiergirl - Yes, I have seen the outside and commented on it in an earlier thread. That's why I was happy to see the inside. It really does look very similar to the moc-up.

No vines!

ajsmama - The wedding was last September! That's why we had to put off the pergola last spring. Still recovering from the wedding, so I got the umbrella this year.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was writing and watching Ellen at the same time. I missed your post. What a gorgeous open patio. Wonderful view of the woods.

• PRO
    13 years ago

pps7. That patio is simply magnificent.

natal, 50+ different species of birds have been to our feeders over the years. I even make their suet:)

hoosier, just got back from Home Depot w/dh and he was not in the mood for flower/plant shopping. But I will go back and pick some up this weekend. A simple and inexpensive start for a punch of color. You know how it is. All it takes is one new item to get the momentum going to want to finish a space. Thanks!

• hoosiergirl
    13 years ago

NHB, I'm so sorry that I had forgotten that you responded to that thread! I remember wanting you to see it since you were so helpful with the design, but I also remembered that you were gone from here a lot since you were busy with your daughter's wedding. So I wasn't sure if you had seen it or not. Thank you again for your help! And BTW, I *LOVE* seeing any and all pics of your home - inside and out. You have wonderful taste, and I love to see how you pull it all together!

Deedee, I hope you find just the right plants that make you happy! And I hope you'll post pics when you get the porch the way you like it -- I love pics!

• nicole__
    13 years ago

I LOVE seeing ALL the great pictures you all posted. My pictures are from last year. We have several decks. The stone work is from the lower stargazing deck. None are covered.

• PRO
    13 years ago

A stargazing deck!
    That is the most romantic deck and the view is spellbinding.

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

NHB I am sooo embarrassed! Too many GW weddings to keep track ;-)

Hinges broke on laptop so I am typing 1-handed while I hold screen w/ other hand. Just had to post pics from last night - not as nice as mockup (don't know why some boards look grayer b/c we tried to match them at L0wes. But here it is - makes the house look finished (wish inside looked as good)!

And looky what I found near the driveway - thinking of moving some to edge of lawn where we can see it.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

AJ, is that Honeysuckle? How pretty! Our's is blooming now, it's white, but the blooms don't last long then it looks like weeds.

I grow Petunias but they don't do well. Everything I grow is super easy. Everything I plant blooms profusely all summer. If not, I won't plant it. lol

Knock Out Roses-
    Floribunda Roses (my first year)
    Cosmos (first year and they've tripled in size already)
    Carpet Roses-
    Zinnias
    Coneflowers
    Tickseed or coreopsis
    Hydrangea, the easy one, forget it's name.
    Dianthus, the real colorful mounds you see
    Impatiens for shady areas
    Caladium, which I'll be planting more of. They thrive in front of the porch with morning sun.

I still have other plants to buy! My dh planted a large plot of wildflowers so I can't wait to see them. They're on the other side of the garage which you can't see in the picture.

• dorothy9_gw
    13 years ago

Oakleyok It looks like a wild azalea, we own a lot along side a creek and we have several on the creek bank. They are so beautiful.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County