SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canarybird01

RECIPE: Spinach Gratin

canarybird01
18 years ago

One of my daughters e-mailed me a few favourite recipes which were being passed around in our family and her neighbourhood during the Easter festivities.

Here's one of them which I made today. It was delicious and my DH said he'll definitely want to have it again! I divided the quantities by 4 for our two servings. (Well I didn't reduce the cheese too much though.) I didn't have Gruyère so I used Double Gloucester cheese. I also used the rest of a large bag of unchopped fresh baby spinach instead of frozen spinach.

Spinach Gratin

SPINACH GRATIN - serves 8

4 Tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick)

4 cups chopped yellow onions (2 large)

¼ cup all-purpose flour

¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg

1 cup heavy cream

2 cups milk

About 3 pounds frozen chopped spinach, defrosted (5 10-ounce packages)

1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1 Tablespoon kosher salt

½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

½ cup grated Gruyere cheese

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until translucent, about 15 minutes. Add the flour and nutmeg and cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes. Add the cream and milk and cook until thickened.

Squeeze as much liquid as possible from the spinach and add the spinach to the sauce. Add ½ cup of the Parmesan cheese and mix well. Season to taste with the salt and pepper.

Transfer the spinach to a baking dish and sprinkle the remaining ½ cup Parmesan and the Gruyere on top. Bake for 20 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Serve immediately.

Source: From my daughter Michelle on Vancouver Island, B.C.

SharonCb

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996