SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jebtb

Sold one - bought one today - what a PITA

jebtb
16 years ago

We closed the sale of our old house on May 18 after only a couple of weeks on the market. That transaction did not involve realtors on either side. It went off without a hitch. I learned if you want to sell in today's market, make sure your house is priced so it's the best value of the homes your buyers will be looking at. It doesn't have to be the cheapest, just the best all-around value. There are still buyers out there. If you make your house the best value, you'll sell it.

The house we purchased didn't go as smoothly. The house had repair issues that the sellers didn't want to fix the way we wanted them fixed. We went through two contract extensions. Thirty minutes after the last one expired, they agreed to our terms. The sellers were sure we were trying to rip them off somehow. Of course, the contractor we made the sellers use for the repairs charged them $2,000 less than the sellers' contractor was going to charge.

We closed today (5/31). The day before closing, the sellers had done almost nothing to get ready to leave. Twenty minutes before closing the sellers were still packing. The guy was completely clueless that his contract required him to be out by closing. Tonight at 9:30, the husband of the selling couple is still there. He better be gone by tomorrow morning. If not, I'll be pissed. I don't know what I'll do if there's a bunch of crap there tomorrow. The sellers had no idea what signing a contract to sell their house obligated them to do, and their realtor certainly didn't help communicate it to them either.

Just relating my story. It's been an interesting and difficult process. This forum has been helpful.

Comments (13)