SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coalaska

*June* UFO challenge

coalaska
15 years ago

By UFO, I mean any quilt that you started some time ago, but--for whatever reason--put aside and didn't get it done.

(Current projects completed in a timely manner deserve to be posted on their own).

The *challenge* is to finish one this month, and post a pic here so we can cheer with you :)

Comments (57)

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

I hope to have my GFG hand quilted by the end of the month. I am off to a good start!

Amy you must be feeling better!

Rebecca

• coalaska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good, good, good! So many of us have--ahem--one or two ufos. :) Let's get one done!

I've got one that I like, and had sandwiched before I decided I didn't like the borders. Ripped those off, bought new fabric (oops), just need to cut/sew/sandwich/quilt/bind. ~whew~

(Bon:)
    Go! Go! Go!
    UFOs - no - mo!

• Related Discussions

Garlic Mustard Challenge- Let's Pull 200,000 lbs by June 15th!

Q

Comments (1)
    Don't be discriminatory! Go ahead and pull the privet, kudzu, multiflora rose, and poison ivy while you're at it.
    ...See More

2010 April-June Seasonal Challenge

Q

Comments (36)
    Thanks, Linda. It won't take you long to get your seasonal tablerunner done once you get to it. Tara, Thank you.....you can do it! After finally getting it in my head, it was easy! You'll grasp it faster than I did. Geri, You can make one, too. Basically, fuse the pieces, then put on fusible bias tape and sew the bias tape down. However, sewing on that black narrow tape was a challenge for my eyes. @:) Jayne, I can see why you weren't able to keep your flowers long! That is sooooo cute! A job well done! Sharon
    ...See More

June ufo Results!

Q

Comments (5)
    Beautiful quilts!!!! I just went to a viewing last night Amy bless you and yours in this hard time. We used to call them wakes and the viewings were about 3 to 4 days and about a total of 5 to 7 days for the entire process. Today it is so fast, and maybe that helps the fam get through the shock and stress. I dunno. Rosa
    ...See More

3rd Challenge is ON!! Watering cans due end of June!

Q

Comments (32)
    crystal I guess for me messing up your email was ment to be.....I am not going to participate...I'm bummed but unfortunately have to bow out...glad yuo havent sent names to TMG yet....that lets someone else who might have been thinking about it but thinking there wasn't enough cans sign up.
    ...See More
  • scootersgirl
    15 years ago

I have one, (actally a lot) the mystery quilt that Red did a couple of summers ago. I finished the hand quilting last night so just need to machine quilt the wreath part and bind. I'll post pics soon.
    Georgia

• coalaska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Way to go, Georgia! Can't wait to see the pics.
    Who's next? :-)

• bonica
    15 years ago

Okay!!! My mystery quilt is off it's rocker!(haha)
    I spent hours today and half a roll of masking tape getting all the cat hair off it(at least it's been in use)
    Now it's draped over the ironing board so some of the wrinkles can hang out of it. I gotta tell ya...this truly is the ugliest quilt I've ever seen!!
    I'm always saying, "I'm going to shave that cat!" A few weeks ago my friend took her long haired kitty into the shop and actually did have her shaved. Everything but the tail and the hair in her ears. Poor thing looks like a poodle!!!
    Menew loves it tho. She parades around like she's the most beautiful kitty in the world. And it seems that getting petted now is a whole new wondrous sensation. more more more!!!
    Bon
    :)

• coalaska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bon, you have me laughing! Just picturing the "poodle cat."

And --yay!-- for getting the quilt in motion :)

• coalaska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

whew. Finally got the new borders cut and sewn on my June ufo--yay:). I'm so glad I took the time; I really like the new borders better. On to the sandwich and quilting...

Progress reports?

• karpet
    15 years ago

I'm working on finishing two that I made the blocks on last summer. One is all done except for tieing and trimming threads, the other is still on the machine being quilted and it is taking forever! I really want to get them done this week because they are going to a dear friend. I just get mentally stuck on that one because it is tedious, but I'm down to one section left - just need to muscle through it!

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Still hating the Sleeping Cats, but I've made a couple more blocks. Thinking of taking the outer edge off each block and going with the Snails Trail look instead of the cats.

Unfortunately I don't have anything that's already made and needs to be quilted. Looks like I need to built up my supply of UFO's! Wait... what am I saying?!? :~0)

• biwako_of_abi
    15 years ago

I WAS working on a stack-n-whack for which I had finally found a fabric with the right, Mexican-y colors, and I was planning to applique the hexagons onto pre-quilted unbleached muslin fabric to save time. I really NEED something for this bed, like yesterday, and the Sylvia's Bridal Sampler quilt destined for it eventually is still a UFO with barely 2 rows done.

But I am finding it easier planned than done to get all the hexagons onto the quilted fabric with nice triangles linking them, and--worst of all--DH and I agree that with an off-white background, the quilt looks too "jumpy."

Now I am thinking of turning the quilt into a cover for one of our kitchen chairs and maybe a tablecloth--though I wouldn't be able to use them at the same time. Either one would look good in our kitchen, which is mainly white, with a few small touches of bright color. Can't promise to get either project done within this month, though! And the poor bed is still stuck out in ugly blanket land.

• karpet
    15 years ago

Well, I made it through the machine quilting on my tumbling blocks quilt and was going to try to attatch the binding, but decided to wait till I'm fresh so I don't rush through it and make a stupid mistake. I have another quilt top that I wanted to do a specific border on - just have not figured out how to do the border. I'm wondering now if I just need to change my plan, or if I should persevere on implementing my idea?

• coalaska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

karpet: way to go! you're almost done with your tumbling blocks (pics required, you know). What is the border you want for the second quilt? So many quilters here have so much knowledge and so many good ideas. Post your questions, and see what happens :)

solstice, you're too funny! And NO! you do NOT want to stockpile ufos lol. Did you decide to trim off the cat part?

Biwako: isn't it frustrating to do something to save time, and it turns out...other than you planned? Have you decided: quilt? chair cover? tablecloth?

Bon: how's the mystery?

Georgia: pics??

Keep up the good work :)

• solstice98
    15 years ago

This is not a good picture, but it will give you an idea of the cat head dilemma. Ignore the 'wall scene' on the bottom 1/2 of the design wall. The cat blocks are at the top of the picture. Some with heads, some without, and some without the outside level of pieces. The heads are fused on and then blanket stitched. Eyes and whiskers will go on by hand stitching after the quilting is done.

What do you all think? Cat head or snail tail?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Kate

• biwako_of_abi
    15 years ago

I think the cat heads are a very clever addition to the snail pattern.

• karpet
    15 years ago

Kate - I like the cat heads!
    Coalaska - my idea for on the borders is turning a cross-stitch design that has a 4 picture progression of a polar bear doing a summer-sault and putting it on each border. Only problem is I don't know how to turn it into a quilt pattern short of a square per square process which would be tedious. I've tried to figure out if I can convert it into a paper-piece pattern, but really don't know how. I even found an applique pattern of a panda summer-saulting, but it only has a progression of 3 and isn't as cute.

• coalaska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kate, I like the cats...maybe you could have some blocks with cats, some without. And sashing? because of the different sizes?

karpet, can you make appliques of the pictures you have?

Anita, protecting your sanity, or fully engaged with college and bedroom switching?

Rebecca, how's the gfg coming?

Amy, any luck on occupying the kids? ;)

Annie, do you have pics of your round robin? We'd like to see...

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

Kate, I like the kitties too.

Life keeps getting in the way for quilting the Grandmothers Flower Garden. I have half of it quilted. Some days I can get four flowers quilted then, I might go nearly a week without touching it, even though it is in the middle of the living room floor. Being knee deep in Daylilies and gardening activities this month, plus two constantly bored children on summer vacation, not much me time.

Monday, I did manage to finish putting together my dresden plates for my other UFO :). 36 plates, and now have to decide how I want to attach them to a top.

After this weekend, the Daylily activities will wind down and my 12 yr old son will be at Boy Scout camp for 7 days. It should be a little quieter. Boy, I am rambling this morning :).

Rebecca

Daylily SHRIMP AND GRITS

• karpet
    15 years ago

Rebecca - Wow! Thanks for the lily picture - that is beautiful! I have one child still bored at home, but it looks like a small job will open up sorting worms! Hey, it's money!

I finished, FINISHED the two UFO's I've been working on last night; clipped the last thread. I have an appointment Monday afternoon to deliver them so I just have to get my two favorite quilt models to help me take a picture of them. I was getting all excited to start something new, but remembered there are still 4 UFO's that need to be finished up. My mind tries to put them in another category to justify cutting into something new! Oh well, it will feel good to have them finished also. One of them is a grandmother's flower garden that I started 2 years ago.

• amcfeely
    15 years ago

Yes if you count the numerous times we have gone to the pool or little water park near our home. But that does not help me get to my sewing room. But rignt now they are all playing playstation and being quiet so I am about to slip into my sewing room and start quilting Hunters puzzle quilt. It has been done and sandwiched since last July. We have been working on it for about 2 1/2 years. I think it's time to finally get it done.

Amy

• coalaska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rebecca, thanks for the beautiful pic. Maybe your gfg is one of those that you can work on as you feel like it, and will never be pushed to the back of the closet? That way it'll be a WIP instead of a ufo :)

I'm also looking forward to ds camp next week :), but need to get this quilt done this week anyway.

karpet, whoo-hoo! We want pictures!

Amy, good luck today. Let us know how it goes.

• amcfeely
    15 years ago

Well I got 3/4 of the quilting done and I ran out of glow in the dark thread so I am off to the store to buy some more so I can finish the quilting today. Then I only have to do the binding. So I got something accomplished so far.

Amy

• coalaska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yay, Amy!! Way to go!

I've gotten mine re-sandwiched (took it apart to change the borders). Now 4.5 days to decide on quilting, do it, and bind it. eek! :)

• solstice98
    15 years ago

glow in the dark thread?!?!?

Oh I have GOT to get some of that!

• karpet
    15 years ago

I had my dear Hubby be my photographer this evening so here are the 2 finished quilts that started as blocks last summer

Here is a link that might be useful:

• coalaska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karpet! That's absolutely beautiful! I gazed at it for some time, just to drink it in!
    Only one quilt on your link...do you have another for us, too?
    Way to go!!

• coalaska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've been trying to quilt all day, but my machine keeps skipping stitches! (so I've had to rip a lot--yuk). I've tried everything: cleaned, oiled, rethreaded, adjusted tension, new needle (from a new package), practiced on another piece (which worked beautifully, btw)...and still getting skips. ~sigh~ not sure what to do at this point.
    Any suggestions?

• solstice98
    15 years ago

I love the tumbling blocks pattern but haven't dared try it. Maybe now that I see how cute it is with large blocks I'll give it a try.

• karpet
    15 years ago

Here is the second one (Can you put more than one link on a post?)

Here is a link that might be useful:

• solstice98
    15 years ago

It's beautiful. I like the way you used the fabric in the center.

You can put in more than one link but not using the "optional link URL" box under the Message box.

Since you have your photos already on Photobucket, just click on the box under the photo that says "HTML code" (right click on it or COPY it) and paste that directly into your message. You can paste in as many as you want, but try to hold it to 4 or less because it gets slow for people with dial-up connections if you do more than that. Your pictures will show up in the message so people don't have to click on a link to see them.

If you really just want to do a link to an address instead of the picture then there's a little formula you can use. Use this formula but when you do it, don't type in the quote (") marks. ""="past in the url address here just like you would in the little box below""Type in the Name of the Link, like Ginny's Quilt""

That may look complicated, but once you do it you'll see how simple it is. Remember to leave off the quote marks! I had to add them here so that they would show up in the text.

If you have a problem with it or a question, go ahead and email me at solstice98@att.net.

Kate

• coalaska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karpet, another beauty! I really like your use of color. Congratulations!

Kate, thanks for the tutorial on pics. :)

• deannabsd
    15 years ago

Oh what beautiful quilts and love the lily.

I just finished a little baby blanket (two pieces-flannel on the back, print on the front). Of course, it wasn't a UFO!! Just wanted something quick and easy. I have gotten my backing prepared though for a UFO that was started four years ago. Somehow my measurements got off (I believe it is a round the world) so I am not happy with it. I am putting some childrens flannel print on the back and will donate it to a homeless shelter or an ambulance group in my town. I am hoping to get that done tomorrow. I will tie that and the baby blanket. AND Then...if I am not too lazy to load a bobbin with black thread, I will sew some sashing on a round robin quilt that I will then decide how I want to finish it for a wall hanging....

It is a good feeling to at least drag them out of the box. But, I don't want to forget to put the backing on a wedding gift for my niece in August. Oh, Iam rambling, time for bed. Deanna

• calliope
    15 years ago

Thanks for this thread. It gave me the push I needed to get cracking on my UFO. I am down to one more row to quilt and the binding. Solstice, I love the cat heads on the snail pattern. Very innovative. I think embroidered whiskers (even if you don't add eyes) would make those heads assume presence and change your mind.

I also love Karpet's version of tumbling blocks. That was the pattern for my second patchwork quilt. I was so naive I didn't know any better. Figured out Y-seaming myself before I knew the word. LOL. I may just finish this June challenge in June!

• coalaska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yay, Deanna :) Post that baby quilt on a thread of its own, where it will get lots of viewers. I'm sure the shelter/ambulance will be very grateful for your quilt; and you'll be so glad to have it done, even if you don't like it.

Calliope, Go, go, go!

2 full days left of June...here we go!

• solstice98
    15 years ago

You've all convinced me to go with the full cat head block. I'll use a heavy embroidery thread to do some whiskers and little closed eye slits. But I'm not going to get it done during June, I afraid! Oh well, at least I have a plan.

• calliope
    15 years ago

Coalaska......58 blocks down and five to go. I feel like the little engine who thinks he can. My fingers are sure sore.

• coalaska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Calliope--keep it up! You're doing great :). I admire anyone who hand quilts.

I finished the (machine) quilting today; just the binding and I'll post a pic--yay!

• coalaska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

On the last day, of course :)

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

not perfect, but DONE :):)

• solstice98
    15 years ago

I love the spirally quilting! Nice job!

• coalaska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you :). I can see I didn't do quite enough in the borders, so it's wavy. Oh, well!

• carolek
    15 years ago

Colaska, is that hand quilting? It makes quilting more interesting to create swirly patterns--they suit each other in line but are all a little different.

I'm standing by my basic rules: #1 if you don't like it, don't waste your life's time and energy completing the project. Having said that, aside from drawings for yet to be done pictorial projects, I've never had any UFOs. I suppose drawings could be considered beginning a quilt. In that case, I have three.

Rule #2: Even if you like an idea for a quilt, if you don't feel like doing it now, don't. This rule won't work if you are prone to starting lots of projects.

Professionals have to operate with different limitations and we all get hit by unexpected events--weddings, babies, etc.

And there is something to be said for the feeling of accomplishment in completing projects. Have you ever finished a quilt, not on commission, that you didn't like? Was it worth the time you put into it?

Carole

• coalaska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Free-motion on my Pfaff :). Someone here suggested "organic design with geometric piecing" and vice versa. It really seems to be good advice.

• carolek
    15 years ago

Coalaska, in my daughter's quilt, I hand quilted something between paisley and swirls.

Carole

• coalaska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

very nice, Carolek. I hope to hand quilt someday :)

• calliope
    15 years ago

The grass is always greener. I hope to machine quilt someday, lol. Beautiful work, Carole. I did get my quilting all done. The quilt is upstairs now, back home in the sewing room, a pound heavier from cat fur. What is it about cats and quilts? I shall need to launder it now for sure as my son has allergie s to cats. The iron is plugged in now and heating and I have the material ripped for the bias binding I'll be putting on today. I missed the deadline by a day or two to get it completely done, but not by much. I am still giving myself a silver star, maybe not gold, but wow........it was close. Thanks again for the motivation. I'll post a pic when I get it drying on the line.

• calliope
    15 years ago

The pic as you requested at this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: the June Challenge

• anitastitch
    15 years ago

Coalaska and Carolek--both your quilting is beautiful--Machine and Hand!
    Got a question for you Carolek, I couldn't tell by looking at your photos if you had used clear thread or cotton or polyester.
    And do you mark your pattern first or just wing it. I'm kind of a wing-it quilter, but am thinking I should try marking one of these days.

p.s. I'm sad to say that while I did write earlier in this thread with hopes of completing a few ufo's in June--I have not! But I'm not giving up on July!

• biwako_of_abi
    15 years ago

I love those spiral,s too, Coalaska, and Carole, what beautiful even hand-stitching!

Nothing to show you from me. DH isn't well, and with the time that takes, plus the stress, I just haven't been able to bring myself to get out the machine and cutting board. Instead, I have been indulging in some crochet pick-me-up work, which doesn't count here, lol. If only I were into hand-piecing, I could be doing that, too!

• karpet
    15 years ago

calliope - that must have been a great experience to be working with your mother's blocks and fabrics. I bet you remembered a lot of the pieces and where they came from. That is a great and a meaningful quilt.

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

Didn't get my challenge done but oh so close! Work and daylilies keep getting in my way of progress on it :). I bought a template for last year's birthday block top and hope to free motion quilt it in the next week or so.

I think we need a July UFO challenge!

Rebecca

• coalaska
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Calliope--love the very inviting quilt! Good job on finishing it. Are your fingers still sore, or are you ready for another challenge?

Anitastitch, I was thinking of waiting until August, but a few have expressed an interested, so I'll post a July challenge, too. You can do it!

Biwako, I'm praying DH is better. Life is much more complicated when someone we love isn't well. Maybe a time to start a gfg? A long wip, not a nufo (nufo: "New UFO"--new2quilting came up with that) lol!

Rebecca--look for the July challenge, we'll look for you there!

Cheryl