SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurajeanb_gw

Curtains on diff size windows

LauraJeanB
11 years ago

I have lived in this house a long time and never had curtains because I didn't know how to hang them. I'm doing it now! I have cool new panels that I love and plan to put the rod as high as I can.

But my dilemma is where to end the rods. Why is this so difficult for me?

If I do this right there should be pictures of the two windows. The wall space is uneven. Going left to right, it's wall, corner, 15.5â³ of wall, 118â³ of window, 12â³ of wall, corner, 21â³ of wall, 70â³ of window, 17â³ of wall, rock fireplace.

Thank you for any advice as far as how long the rods should be! Those are wood blinds in the pics and they dont look as crummy in person as they do in the pics.

Don't laugh, but what keeps going through my mind is what I hear about doing eyebrows...they're sisters, not twins. But that's as far as I get!

Laura

P.S. the butterflies are flying into the office, or The Room Where Leftovers Go.

Comments (17)

• User
    11 years ago

I know they say that hanging a curtain rod as close to the ceiling will make the room look taller but to me, it just looks odd with that big honking gap between the window and the rod. I have lower ceilings too believe it's just better to embrace what you have so we hung our rods in a traditional manner. I just think it just looks better. That said the way your windows are should work fine with the rods and it will look really nice.

If it were me, I'd place the rods so that the bottom of the bracket sits about 2 inches above the window. That should place the very top of the curtain at about 4 inches above the window. Then install the brackets 2 inches from the window on each side extend the rod no more than 2 inches more from the bracket. That way the measurements are all even and the curtain will nicely frame the window.

I think the biggest problem with the larger window is making sure you have enough fullness in the panels. You will need to double up so that the width of the panels is at least 2 times or more the width of the window. So for example, I wanted a lot of fullness and our living room window is 54 inches wide. I have 2 panels on each side and each panel is 45 inches wide. That's 90 inches of panel on each side of my 54 inch window.

I hope I didn't confuse you more, I'm not a professional drapery person, but that's the way I did it. If you really feel like you don't get it after everyone chimes in, take your photos and head down to your local JCP drapery department. The women there really know drapes and they will outline exactly what you need to do to get the look you're after.

• LauraJeanB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm so glad you said that about the big empty space between the top of window and ceiling. I was advised to hang the rod that high by someone who knows stuff but I envisioned a long narrow rectangle emphasizing the low ceiling. she also said to go all the way to the walls, but none of them are the same width from edge of window to end of space.

I have eight 48" panels. So I think I'm just okay as far as fullness and I will try not to see that the big window has more fullness than the smaller window. I will look at them as individuals and not twins since they are not the same size.

Really, would it have been so hard to center the big window when they built the house??

Thanks for your response! Sometimes I need a little nudge and you've given me the guidance I needed!

Laura

• Related Discussions

Help with curtains/window size/how many grilles?

Q

Comments (2)
    Tracie Your concerns regarding balance are valid. In order to address them there are a number of issues: What are the other sizes of windows on this side of the house? What is the configuration of the windows? What type of replacement windows are you using - are they close to the original design, material? For me the exterior should be the first consideration that drives the decision, the interior 2nd. Looking at windows of homes IRL is also helpful. For example my home has 6/1 configuration windows are roughly 30" wide by 53" long - putting a huge window would throw the entire exterior balance off - additionally replacing the 80 yr old windows with vinyl would total detract from the exterior Taking a picture of the exterior of your home is beneficial in determining what will work.
    ...See More

I'm making curtains for a camper since the windows are such odd sizes.

Q

Comments (1)
    Sounds like a good idea.
    ...See More

Curtains, Sheers, oh my! The windows are different sizes. Please help.

Q

Comments (11)
    Thank you for the suggestions everyone. We just order light filtering honeycomb shades, bottom-up top-down for 19 windows. Housegal200, thank you for the picture and idea. Once we are moved in I may add curtains that stack entirely on the side. I'm starting a new conversation next above curtains for a double slider. :)
    ...See More

Help! Weird window sizes - What curtains to use?

Q

Comments (2)
    Thank you very much! Hopefully if I decide to open the panels but have them pillared (like your second photo) it will still leave enough room for light to shine through. I do like that look. Thanks again!
    ...See More
  • annzgw
    11 years ago

Well, my vote is to take them as high as the length will allow. Since you have the fireplace that goes to the ceiling, taking the panels close to the ceiling will help balance the fireplace.

I think I would hang hardware for an inside corner mount and cover the whole corner vs trying to install 2 finials and brackets.
    Here's a visual.

Smith and Noble carries the hardware, as does BB&B. I'm sure others here will have some online suppliers.

Here is a link that might be useful: corner hardware

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I would have the rods go almost wall to wall sideways, assuming that is appropriate for the hardware you have chosen. Are there end finials?

Annz makes a good point that the stone work dictates taking the drapes all the way to the ceiling. If not for that, I would bring them down a bit.

• User
    11 years ago

Laura, I'm so glad it helped. I just told you what I did. Maybe tomorrow I can try to post a picture so you can see how they frame the windows. I actually used a double rod with grommet drapes. I hung sheers up behind it on rings so I have a few options for lighting and privacy. I've been really happy with it so far.

As far as having equal fullness, with the layout of our windows that was a better option for us and offered more balance to the room. Our window and sliding glass door are directly across from each other in a long rectangular shaped room. With your room, if the different widths of fullness looks odd, I think you could always add more panels to the smaller window to help balance it out more. Adding panels wonâÂÂt look odd because the sides of the windows are behind the drapes anyway, know what I mean?

If you havenâÂÂt bought the panels yet, I still think it would be really helpful for you to take a trip to JCP with your photos. I really struggled too and went there often with questions. Gosh, I was almost on a first name basis with one lady. She was so helpful in explaining how to accomplish the look I wanted; she even took the time to explain some easy fixes. For example, the sheers I wanted were too long but would be very difficult to hem. Since I was using rings to hang them, she suggested I just fold over the top like they do on their displays. Who knew it could be that simple! Anyways, donâÂÂt mean to confuse you more, maybe some others with more knowledge will chime in with suggestions too. I hope so! --Lukki

• LauraJeanB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all! I wasn't thinking about the fireplace at all. I pretend it's not there.

I've been here 17 years without curtains for fear of doing it wrong. Crazy, huh?

I haven't gotten any hardware yet.

I feel bad going to jcp asking questions since I want wood rods and they don't sell them. The lady there knows me since I got a quote for custom curtains and while I'm sure they were a fair price, she had to pick me up off the floor. She is very nice.

Laura

• woodland_babe
    11 years ago

I love your round ottoman and the couches look so cozy. What kind of table is that in the background, it looks to fit perfectly in that corner and a good height. I was recently looking for a corner table and couldnt find one.

• User
    11 years ago

I understand about the JCP thing. A quote I got from them had me on the floor too. :c)

I think Annz suggestion of covering the whole corner like that could look stunning in your space. Is it something you've considered? If you choose to frame each window I still wouldn't hang the drapes to the ceiling regardless of the fireplace but that's just me, what really matters is what you like. Sometimes a visual really helps, maybe if you Google drape images you'll find a room similar to what you have. You can also look through pinterest or houzz.com, though houzz.com doesn't have a lot of rooms with drapes for some reason.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Go all the way to the top. If you don't want to cover the corner, then be sure to leave the exact same amount of wall space on either side of every window. The window being off-center is irrelevant because once you hang the curtain everything will appear symmetrical. The drapes will cover part of the wall as well as part of the window, so you can obscure the problem completely.

• LauraJeanB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will look around houzz. I really appreciate the help.

Thank you for the compliment re the corner table. I looked around and I think they're generally not tall enough, especially not for my old couches that had taller arms than my red ones. So I went down to Mexico with a drawing and had one built for me to my specs. I also did away with the front corner. My dog used to sleep under there and I didn't want him to poke an eye out on the way under.

Unfortunately, it was built Before Curtains. So I'm going to have to alter it in some way for the panels to fit behind them. I will spend the money to alter this table not because it's a worthy table, just because I like it so much.

Laura

• LauraJeanB
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your advice. I am posting a follow-up to encourage anybody who is scared of making mistakes. Take the plunge!

Here is the room. I like it. I will get used to the blank spot from window up to ceiling. Maybe the wood blinds are awful now but they're staying due to lack of funds. I want to spend my money on other things like pillows. And my corner table is off getting resized.

This follows along with my current motto: I might be doing it wrong, but at least I'm doing it!

Thanks again!

Laura

• erinsean
    11 years ago

Very nice. I too, have been afraid of having drapes to the ceiling but after seeing yours, I won't hesitate. Looking good!

• cozyfarmhouse
    11 years ago

They look great! Really add a nice finishing touch to the room.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

This follows along with my current motto: I might be doing it wrong, but at least I'm doing it!

Isn't that the truth? Did you see the thread on changing the Quote for the Home Decorating forum? I think yours would be great!

Good work on the drapes!

• gmp3
    11 years ago

They look beautiful. i love the pattern.

• User
    11 years ago

You did a great job! It looks really nice and you should be giving yourself a big pat on the back. Love the motto, great words to live by!

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

Just wanted to say your new curtains are beautiful! I love the pattern and color and how they work with your sofas. If you have the time, I'd love to see more pictures of the room (including the fireplace). Thanks for sharing.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!