SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_553096608

Help! Weird window sizes - What curtains to use?

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi Everyone! I am moving into a small studio that has these three windows in the living area that are different sizes. The left and right window are smaller than the middle. The total window length for all three windows is ~100 inches.

I don't know what size curtains I should get. I am debating between:

1) 2 x 100 inch panels so they hang on the very left and very right side of the windows

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Exclusive-Fabrics-Silver-Grey-Velvet-Blackout-Extra-Wide-Curtain-Panel/6811692/product.html?TID=Cart%3ALink%3AProductLink%3ACartItems&option=9242707

2) 4 x 50 inch panels so they hang in between each window frame

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Exclusive-Fabrics-Furnishings-Blackout-Signature-Off-White-Blackout-Velvet-Curtain-50-in-W-x-96-in-L-1-Panel-VPCH-110602-96/301624138

My dilemma:

- With option 2, if I hang my curtains in between each window will they block too much light? Does anyone know how many inches the "stackback" of a 50 inch panel would be? This way I can see if it would block too much of the window frame

- I hope to use tiebacks so maybe either option wouldn't matter because they might look the same when opened

- Will I be limiting myself with ways to drape my curtains if I only go with option 1? (i.e. with option 2 I can hang them in between the windows; option 1 I cannot)

- Option 1 is a little cheaper (I'm on a budget!) but I like Option 2's color better

- Option 2 would be easier to resell because 50 inch panels are more common (I am a renter and this is a temporary home)

To provide more context, I want curtains as opposed to custom blinds because again, am a renter and don't want to shed a lot of money on a home that I know is temporary. I also will get a lot of sun and am set on blackout curtains since my "bedroom" is in this living space.

Would love your input and suggestions. Thank you very much! :)

Comments (2)