SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

Homeowners Insurance

Debbie Downer
10 years ago

Well, after ANOTHER year of a $100 increase to my homeowners insurance I asked the agent , "what's the business plan of these insurance co's? They just going to keep jacking it up a cool $100 a year until no one can afford it anymore?" Didn't get an answer to that, but I did find out I could raise my deductible to $1500 to give me a $134 rebate.

Also, she said instead of insuring to the amount it would cost to rebuild my 100 year old house exactly the same using the same materials and methods, she could price it to the cost of using today's materials and methods (drywall instead of plaster for example). That still is about $100,000 more than my house is currently appraised at.

My question is - couldn't I just insure it to the appraised value of the house AS IT IS. I honestly would NOT be rebuilding in that location but would just want to get back enough value to buy something somewhere else.

Are there any other insurance reducing strategies? I just know it's going up again next year, and I'm not sure how high I want to keep going to raise the deductible.

Comments (18)