SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_970892

RECIPE: Irish Soda Bread from Famous Lowell Folk Festival

littleonefb
17 years ago

This is the recipe for the Irish Soda Bread made famous at the Lowell Folk Festival.

Every year it is sold at the Irish food booth along with other Irish dishes.

It's a little different from most and makes more of a cake like bread and uses sour cream as the acid, but it still goes perfectly with corned beef and cabbage on St Patricks Day. it also makes a wonderful bread to serve with tea, especially if it's warm. My family prefers to eat the bread warm with dinner or with tea, coffee or hot cocoa. It warms up well in a microwave.

The recipe was printed in the Lowell Sun newspaper 10 years ago, coutesy of the creator of the recipe, Mary Noon.

MARY NOON'S IRISH SODA BREAD

2 1/2 cups sifted flour

2 teaspoons baking powder (not level)

1 teaspoon salt (not level)

1/2 teaspoon baking soda (not level)

1/2 cup sugar

1 egg beaten

1 pint sour cream

1/2 cup raisins

caraway seeds if you like. original recipe does not call for them because her family doesn't like them, nor does mine.

Preheat oven to 375. butter an 8 inch round cake pan or use cooking spray to coat.

Sift flour, baking poweder, salt and baking soda together and set aside.

Cream shortening or margarine and sugar. Add egg and sour cream and mix well.

Stir in flour mixture until well blended. Fold in raisins.

dough will be very sticky.

Put dough into 8 inch pan and bake for 50 minutes. Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake another 10 minutes.

Let cool some in pan before removing. Serve warm or cold.

My changes. I use mazola unsalted stick margarine instead of shortening and leave out the salt. I find it tastes better without any added salt. I always serve the bread warm, fresh out of the oven and cooled a bit before serving.

wrap leftovers if any in aluminum foil and then slip into a ziploc bag to store. Reheat sliced in microwave on a plate with a cover vented just a little until it is as warm as you want it.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County