SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maurenemm

Testing for Mold (before buying) and WWYD?

maurenemm
12 years ago

First the straight forward question and then the odd situation we're in.

Should you test for mold before buying a house? What kind of testing (if any) is effective?

Here is the story. We put an offer in on a house yesterday. It had just come back on the market after being under contract for 2 weeks. Today I find posting on a local message board (internet) from a buyer who was questioning whether he was right or wrong to walk away from a particular house. Without a doubt, this is the same house we put the offer on.

Ultimately, this buyer walked away because the seller wouldn't fix or pay to fix a mold issue. (The buyer had other, smaller issues with the sellers which don't really affect us.) The buyer indicated he had some sort of mold test done. But I have no idea what kind of mold test or if there were visible signs of mold. I've done some reading, and am led to believe that air mold tests are highly unreliable or ineffective.

Just the thought of the possibility of mold scares my DH and I. Neither of us have lived in a home with a mold issue. We worry about the expense to fix what is causing the mold and the health issues (we have two young boys). The home also tested high for radon (according to this buyer) which the sellers agreed to fix and I have no big problems with. The buyer said there was nothing else wrong with the home.

We were just informed by our agent that there is another offer on the table for this house. So, assuming that offer is higher, this might be our chance to walk away without spending any money on inspections. I don't know what to do. There may or may not be a mold issue. Do I want to spend the money to find out? That is the ultimate question.

I like this house. I do not LOVE it. Our main goal in moving was to get into a better school district. This house does that. It is in very nice neighborhood. We have not seen anything else we really like (that hasn't been snapped up before we could write up an offer). My only complaint with it (before the mold worries) is that its a bit smaller than what I was hoping to get. We are in a time crunch as we have a contract on our current house and have to be out in 2 months.

WWYD?

Comments (20)