SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kercove

Time to finalize the layout-Help please!

kercove
15 years ago

So I've been lurking here for awhile...wading through the old posts and soaking up everyone's fantastic ideas! Now it's time for me to make some decisions, and I would love to get some feedback on where we are so far.

My husband and I bought our first home this past fall knowing that we'd have to gut the kitchen. It not as bad as some that I've seen here, but it definitely needs some love. I'm looking forward to more storage and more counter space, and to having a built-in dishwasher that doesn't block a portion of our base cabinets!

I took the Sweeby test, and my wishes are to have a bright, comfortable space that I am happy to be working in. Not too elegant, but not too casual either. A little sparkle maybe (I would LOVE stainless hex tiles as a backsplash for the stove area). I like color, but I'd rather keep the permanent items neutral and bring in the color through accessories. Uncluttered, a little vintage, layers of texture to keep the whites/grays/blacks from getting boring.

I've met with a number of cabinet reps and have developed a layout (link below) that I think is working quite well. But you guys are the layout gurus, so I'm turning to you for advice. Do I have enough storage (we have a lot of stuff, but don't really use a lot of the bigger items on a regular basis, so it may be okay to store in the basement)? Do I have enough counter space? Anything glaring with the cabinet choices? I wanted everything to be balanced visually, particularly on both sides of the stove and the sink...am I achieving that? Is the flow of the kitchen reasonable?

As for finishes, we're definitely going white on the cabinets. Flat panel, Shaker-style. Full-overlay vs. inset is up for debate. When I look back at my inspiration pictures, 95% of them are inset, and we actually found a custom cabinet maker that will do them for the same price, which is fantastic. But there is a tiny piece of me that feels like they are only for large, beautiful kitchens in historic-type homes. Is it strange to put inset in a mid-size 50's ranch kitchen??

I'm thinking Virginia/Jet Mist on the perimeter and White Fantasy on the island. The base of the island will be white as well. I haven't come across any pictures with this configuration...can anyone think of a past kitchen that has it so I can see what it would look like?

I'm posting both our current layout and our proposed layout. The wall going to the breezeway will eventually come down to allow for a connected dining area and mudroom, so I don't want to have any cabinets along that wall. But for now, the door and window probably have to stay in their current positions. I am open to ideas for the living room wall, but I really love having the separation of space. I would be okay with changing the door location, but only if it really solved a huge flow issue. I know everyone loves open layouts right now, but I love my living room as is, and think I'll achieve the open-ness when we add the dining area.

Our...

Comments (10)