SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenswrens

Finding a listing agent - how to?? - ethics, commission, etc

jenswrens
15 years ago

IÂm new to this forum (but not to GW Â IÂve been here for years) and new to selling a home. IÂve bought houses but have never sold one. I have lots of questions. Starting with how to find an agent.

First, is it ethical/acceptable to go with a different agent who is at the same company in the same office as another agent youÂve interviewed? DH found an agent over the phone and I donÂt really like her. Before he did this, I had already decided to interview another agent (in this same office) who has a great reputation, her own website, lots of experience and awards, etc. Can I still interview her and potentially use her instead of the other one? This company is our second choice  weÂre just interviewing here for second opinions and bargaining power, I guess youÂd say.

Which brings me to commission The first agent I interviewed (different brokerage) I really liked and was ready to sign with her. But DH balked at her 6% commission, and says he refuses to pay that because he researched and found that the average is 5%. She wonÂt compromise, and heÂs starting to not like her anymore. I have a time crunch and need to get this house on the market asap, because IÂm starting a job in another state in July, so I donÂt want to waste time interviewing a thousand agents, especially when I donÂt really know what the heck IÂm looking for.

How important, really, is the listing agent you choose? IÂve heard that theyÂre usually not the person that brings the buyer anyway. Can I still interview that other agent I like or do I need to start looking at a third company? What else do I need to be considering?

Comments (18)