SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
summerskye_gw

Need objective opinion on listing agent

summerskye
16 years ago

We are moving to another state, just bought a house there and trying to sell the one here. Our agent here listed the house on MLS and since then has been reluctant to do anything else. He did not want to have flyers on the sign but he brought them when we asked. We also told him we were thinking about offering a buyer's agent incentive of $2000, and he said that wouldn't be effective. After three showings in three months, we asked him to do an open house and he agreed, telling us that it wouldn't help anyway. Three days after the open house, I had to contact him for feedback. In general, he is very negative. All he wants to do is email us CMA's that show a few comparable homes sold for our asking price now or slightly higher. He wants us to drop the price to what smaller homes in our area are selling for. When we pointed out that the CMA's showed that our price is competitive, he sent more lists of how many homes are on the market right now in that price range. We have dropped the price once and are considering dropping it again, but we are also wondering if it would have sold by now if he were more aggressive about marketing. He only contacts us through email now, usually to send articles about the current market and how price is what sells a home. His emails can be very condescending, for example, we both work in retail, so he says things like "when goods in your store don't sell you mark them down right." Yes, but first we make an effort to sell them before pricing them below cost.

We bought the house last year, when the market was hot, and this agent was our buyer's agent then. He urged us to offer over the asking price and to overlook some repair issues, even though it was new construction, because he claimed the seller had higher backup offers and we would be priced out of the market if we waited. Yes, it was our decision to go along with this, and then the house turned into a huge money pit (poorly built and as the second owners the warranty did not apply). My husband had this idea that if we used the same agent again, he would feel bad for helping us get into this situation and would be motivated to help us out. However, it seems that he thinks we were stupid enough to overpay, now we will be desperate enough to accept a low price just to sell it quickly. We are able to get out of our 6-month listing agreement with him, thanks to my husband's relo company, and we are going to make sure the next agent will do something besides just list the home and wait for it to sell. What is reasonable to ask for in what a listing agent will do? When I sold my last home, the agent was over almost every day, helping me paint and install new fixtures, and he had it sold the day it listed, to someone working with an agent in his office. That was a couple years ago in a different state and a different market. Our market here is getting saturated with new construction, but our house is listed for less than the new houses, but with the improvements that don't come with these new homes (A/C, window coverings, landscaping, rain gutters). The new house two doors down from us just sold for our asking price. The only differences are it has wood floors, less yard but a bigger garage,and it doesn't have the same improvements we have put into ours. We will drop the price again when we relist but are thinking about the agent incentive again- any thoughts on whether this might help? Also, we had interviewed one agent who seemed more personable and had a marketing plan, but my husband didn't like that he was with a much smaller company. Is it that much better to go with a large company (with better advertising) than with an individual who is more committed to working for you?

Comments (27)