SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

want to make an offer

newhomeseeker
16 years ago

I plan to make an offer on a home that is being sold as is. I can have an inspection done but the inspection won't include the furnace or septic system. The furnance is propane and the tank is currently empty. THe sellers have no lived in the house for almost a year. They near foreclosure and have no money to repair anything or even to fill the propane tank so it can be inspected. If I want this done I have to pay for a service call and to have the tank filled 40% (hundreds of dollars). I may end up doing this if my offer is accepted, I don't know yet.

The realtor that has the property listed is retiring. Her contract with the sellers expires a week from today. The original realtor is a flat fee realtor and the new realtor charges 6% so the sellers are more likely to take a lower offer while listed with the current realtor.

The current realtor suggests asking for an escrow account in the amount of $5000 since the furnance and the septic can not be inspected. I am told that septic inspections can not be done until someone has lived in the house for 30 days. She says this way if there are any problems with either, I will get the money for repairs from the seller (but I'm confused as the house is being sold "as is") and if there are no problems the seller keeps the escrow money.

I had planned to base my offer on the fact that I could encounter problems with the furnance or septic system and that is why I would offer an amount lower than asking price. The realtor is saying that I need to take in consideration that in order to have the escrow account the sellers need to have enough money to pay off their mortgage first and then have the overage for escrow. The realtor told me to make sure I offer enough so they can do this.

The realtor gets no more $ based on the selling price. She gets a flat fee either way. I have no idea what the sellers owe on the mortgage, nor do I care. Its not my job to make sure they can pay off their mortgage. I am offering less than asking based on the fact the house has been on the market almost a year, has sat empty and based on comps. I'm not offering a lot less than asking but some. Here is the email the realtor sent me- please let me know if I am interpreting it wrong.

realtor email- "also keep in mind when you make your offer we will ask them to set up an escrow account since you can't inspect the furnace and septic -that way if something is wrong that money will come to you or if nothing wrong when you get gas & have septic inspection it will go back to them - I had recommended $1,000 for the furnace and the septic we'd have to get an estimate (our last one was $4,000) they don't think there's anything wrong with either one, but you need to allow enough on your offer to cover these so the money will be available after they pay off their mortgage"

I should also point out that I wanted to have a real estate attorney write my offer for me, but the realtor insists all I have to do is fill out a purchase contract with her. I want to make sure it includes the necessary contigencies so should I stick with an attorney?

Comments (27)