SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momofone23

Dealing w/relocation company for repairs

momofone23
9 years ago

Currently under contract for a house after searching high and low for over 6 months. Had home inspection last week.
House is in pretty good shape overall - roof 2 years old, windows, 5 years old, siding 3-4 years, water heater new. HVAC is about 9+ years so not so new. House is updated in bath, kitchen, etc.

All that is wonderful, however there are two major concerns that I want to ask the seller to compensate for. In this case the "seller" is now the relocation company that is relocating the current owners who work for Exxon Mobil. They (relocation company) are now technically the "sellers" as the home has apparently transferred hands.

The house is in a very large development built in late 60s early 70s. Upon home inspection I learned that the bottom floor ducting is made of Transite (cement/asbestos mixture). I understand that it's not necessarily an immediate threat, but with a home 45+ years old on a slab foundation, it's only a matter of time before degradation or something happens that could disturb the ducting enough to possibly release particles. The temporary fix is putting a sealant around the rough edges, but I would feel much more comfortable with the permanent fix of re-ducting, and also for resale purposes down the line.

So the ducting is one issue.

The other issue is that the backyard has a negative grade towards the house. I had two landscaping/drainage people come out and both agreed that there is a fairly large area of the yard where it's obvious that water is pooling from rains and some other drainage issues here and there. From what they could tell it's not affecting the foundation, but they strongly recommended having some re-grading and drainage work to eliminate the water pooling. Not only will it cause major mosquito infestation but other potential problems as well.

Then there is the "small stuff" or what I think is the small stuff but I don't know because I haven't gotten estimates.

- Washing machine supply hoses upgrade to reinforced hoses

So the question is this:

Do we ask for the "small stuff" (if indeed it is "small) and the
major things (re-ducting and re-grading/drainage) or just ask for the major things?

If we ask for everything my concern is that they will come back and just offer to fix the small stuff so they are making their "good faith effort."

But then if we only ask for the major repairs and don't mention the other stuff then they could say no to that and I will be down to zero in compensation.

From what I have read about this particular relocation company, they are not too wonderful with agreeing to compensation for repairs.

I realize I could still walk from the deal, but there is just so much at stake here, especially since I'm already a good $1,500 into the deal with home inspection, appraisal, and air testing (asbestos). I really do like the house, location, etc. and my daughter w/special needs, my dog, cat and I have been living in a hotel for the past 6 months so we are pretty desperate to get into a normal living situation. However, I certainly don't want to make a major decision of buying this house or another one based on our current living situation.

Inventory is still really low and there are other financial reasons why if I don't take this house I may be out of luck for a very, very long time on being a homeowner.

Would love to hear thoughts on best way to go as far as what to ask for in repairs, and also if anyone else has had experience purchasing a home under similar circumstances with a relo company on the other end.

This post was edited by momofone23 on Tue, May 20, 14 at 21:40

Comments (14)