SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbieinmiami

South Florida - what are reasonable expectations?

DebbieInMiami
16 years ago

SORRY, this is long! I have read this board for weeks now, and finally got up the guts to put my house up for sale and was hoping for some advice.

I talked with 3 agents; 1 of which was an Assist2sell agent, the other 2 are affiliated with large firms.

I signed a 4 month contract with the agent (affiliated with name firm) who has lived in my development for 30 years and has been selling in my neighborhood for over 20 yrs. I decided not to cheap out and get help with this process since I have no clue what I am doing. Florida has property tax $ saving proposals on the legislative calendar in June, so people may be holding off to see what happens to save $$.

One week into it though, and we were already breaking all of the rules that I have read about here. The pictures are so-so (but my 4 bed/2 1/2 bath house is very basic and has no upgrades. Good development and school district. VERY clean and uncluttered; freshly painted on the inside over the last 2 yrs, touched up as best as possible on the outside) but anyone who wants to buy my house will simply be looking for a large house, good price with "good bones" - so there won't BE great pictures), and if I listened to her, I wouldn't have fixed up anything and it would be ok to leave the boxes all over because "people know you are moving". Her one and only suggestion was to have the bathtub refinished in one of the bathrooms.

According to her, people who want to move into my neighborhood, will overlook a blemish here & there, they just want a good price to get into it. OK...but I am still doing my little fixes in spite of what she says. I don't have a lot of $$, but thought there were certain things that could be done to spruce it up a bit (painted & had popcorn repaired in garage that was coming down), painted front door, put new hardware and molding, replaced back door that was wood and old,fixed wood in the entrance and over garage, took down a lot of personal things, framed pics etc. (yes, she even thought it was ok to leave everything up as is) etc etc. I think the things I did were important, not just little cosmetic blemishes!

So now I get down to my question - we are having an open house this weekend, and there will be virtually no marketing, just signs, which we really aren't allowed to have in my development. She says the paper doesn't work, (she also said that a broker's open house doesn't work, people that live east of the highway have success but for house west of the highway, the agents do not attend).

I went with her because of her history and experience in the neighborhood, and who knows, she may sell it tomorrow! But what are your thoughts?

I KNOW I allowed my emotions to cloud the fact that this is a business transaction; the agent and I have some things in common and hit it off great. I know we are only 2 weeks into it, but I want to be sure I facilitate this thing properly from here on out. I did begin some discussion with her yesterday, so she is aware that I have some concern.

So let me know if you have any thoughts as to what else I should do or ask her to do. What are the basic up front investment responsibilities of the agent? I don't want to be unreasonable.

THANKS for your help!!

Comments (6)