SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shadypa

what system is best in south Florida?

14 years ago

I need help. I have been reading but..

I have a 3 ton 11 year old Goodman that is dying.

I live in a 1650 sq foot house in south Florida, very humid.

I have had multiple quotes.

My wife wants the clean effects or something very similar.

No one has used the manual J. All have said that if the 3 ton, when new worked then it is the right size.

I have 2 rooms farthest from the return that are cold during the winter and vice versa. I put in an extra duct to the office (has 2 old computers) that has helped. The other room, especially when the door is closed, has a noticeable temp difference. Some had said that that room will need some jumpers or larger duct. Others have said to wait until the new system is in and see if there is a difference as it will have much more power.

One contractor said I need a 3.5 ton. Another said that if I get the Trane XL20i, I need a 4 ton since the smaller compressor does most of the work and won't quote me a 3 ton price. I know neither will get the tax credit.

I have mostly focused on the XL20i but began to wonder if I really need such a machine and started to get quotes on the XL16i and other brands such as Rheem, Amana, and York. I think I am stuck with the Trane because my wife wants the clean affects or similar. I had Carrier and Lennox give me an estimate but they are much more expensive.

I want to be able to separate the humidity apart from the temp. I read the Tconn 900 can do that and the Honeywell VisionPro IAQ. Will I be able to get a lessor system, still get the tax credit, get the humidity control with a lessor system?

I am wondering about the Trane XR 16 seer system as well.

What would be the best system?

Thanks

Comments (30)