SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

A Dollars & Cents Take on Weddings

chisue
11 years ago

I was interested to read a blunt article about this in today's Chicago Tribune -- especially after the discussion on Pickyshopper's thread about gift-giving.

The story isn't in the Social Section, if that even exists nowadays. It's in "Money & Real Estate". (Crass, eh? LOL) The article warns wedding invitees not to overspend, cites surveys and makes money-based suggestions.

A National Endowment for Financial Education survey says 42% of invitees spend $100 - $500; 13% spend over $1000.

Etiquette mavens must be swooning to read the suggestion that groups of invitees set up an internet site where each person contributes by credit card. They mention wepay.com and splitabill.com The article encourages couples to set up sites where guests can help fund a honeymoon. (Quick, the smelling salts!)

The story cites a 2010 weddingchannel.com survey that says a bridesmaid spends an average of $1695 per wedding. This includes a dress, travel, gifts and parties. (How many wedding parties can you be in before you're in the Poor House?)

Destination weddings are considered a boon to invitees who are looking for a way to refuse invitations -- and give smaller gifts. (This brings up the question of feeling obligated to give a gift *only if you attend*. ???)

Another survey says 22% of couples regret how much they spent on their wedding -- so, 78% were not sorry. Averages from 2010 say couples spent $27K per wedding, ranging from the most expensive area (Manhattan, $70K) to least expensive (Utah, $13K). The overall average cost per guest was almost $200.

I was OK with most of the article but really dismayed by the last paragraph. It spoke to invitees who inform the couple they can't be in a wedding party or give a generous gift. It says, in effect, "Good friends won't drop you for this. People will still need friends after their wedding." (Oh, spare me such 'friends'!)

Comments (21)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm