SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rthummer

For the Love of Gardening, Remember a great man

rthummer
14 years ago

My favorite flowering shrub, Nikko Hydrangea, and here is why.

I have a special Nikko Blue (and that nikko blues' babies-propragated children lol) that when I look at Nikko Blue, I think of my dear sweet father in law who died 12 years back. He live and breathed gardening. I never remember him not having a garden. When he found out he had some kind of lymphnoma cancer (it is the fast acting, sorry that is the only way I know how to describe it) he could not have a garden that year. It made him very sad. He loved hydrangeas. So my husband and I bought him a nikko blue hydrangea that we planned on planting outside his full length window where his bed lay. We told him that we would come back in the afternoon to plant it. We accidently left it where the scorching sun was on the Nikko. I happen to get off work early and went by my in laws and saw my father in law sitting in the dirt by the window where inside his bed lay. I went over and was panicked because I didn't know what happened to him, as my mother in law was suppose to be with him, and I was scared. He informed me that she had gone to pick up his med's and he was afraid that his little nikko was going to get sun stroke. It was everything I could do to hold back my tears when I saw he had taken a large cooking spoon from the kitchen as he didn't have the strength to walk out to the tool shed, and dug a hole for his little hydrangea and planted Nikko. The only thing he said to me was "can you help me back in the house, now? "Yes, Pop, I said." He died maybe 3 months after that. After my mother in law died, in a car accident several years later and the homeplace was sold, I was granted permission by the new owners to come and dig up Nikko in the spring. Nikko has many "babies" now. I have many other kinds of hydrangeas that I have bought here and there, but None mean as much as Nikko and her offspring. I will never forget my father in laws (Pop) love of gardening.

Comments (8)