SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
retroreno_gw

Help with ideas for unused space

retroreno
15 years ago

Hi. I have a formal living room/dining room in our 1954 ranch that is currently used very little and am hoping that some of you can help me come up with some ideas for using this space.

At the moment, the formal living room is decorated with bookshelves, a couch, two chairs, etc.--basically it is set up as a formal living room. Same with the dining room (i.e., dining room table/china cabinet). We also have a kitchen that is open to a family room on the other side of the wall. The problem is that our house is somewhat small by today's standards (approx. 2000 sq feet), and we have two young children ages 3 and 5 who seem to take up our entire house with their toys. Ideally, we would like to add a playroom onto our house and open up the living/dining room to the family room/kitchen, but that is not in the budget at the moment. Does anyone have ideas for a way that we could use this extra space? Making it into a playroom is not really an option because the front door opens into a foyer that is completely open to the living room/dining room and that is not exactly what I want people to see when they first enter our house.

Has anyone seen these rooms used in creative ways that make them attractive yet functional?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz