SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tony2toes

Burglary/Theft during or after a showing?

Tony2Toes
11 years ago

This hasn't happened to me personally, but it did happen to a good friend of mine recently and I wondered how commonplace this may be so thought I'd post.

Have you ever had a burglary/theft occur either while your home was being shown or shortly thereafter? In my friends' case, his REA conducted an open house one Sunday afternoon. Someone that came to the OH took a set of car keys left hanging on the key board in the kitchen. This is where the REA had "set up shop" with brochures, disclosure statements, etc all lying out on the little desk in the kitchen.

On the Tuesday following the showing, someone came around in the middle of the night and simply unlocked both car doors in the driveway (they had been using their garage to store excess furnishings in anticipation of move) and drove them away. The vehicles were found stripped a couple days later and a few weeks after that the police caught one of the car thieves who turned out to be a kid (under 18) that had been given both sets of keys by another person. The car keys weren't immediately missed as they were spares.

Moral of story to me is that I need to be extra, extra careful when I'm selling my home to not leave anything 'normal' accessible. TV's and such, can't easily stash/hide those away for showings. But car keys, laptops, video game systems/game libraries, even simple mail items like bank statements, etc.....I often don't remember to pre-audit my home to ensure those are out of sight. But I guess it never occurred to me that thieves would target homes for sale as an easy, open invitation to 'case the joint' so to speak. I must be naive.

Anyone else have a bad experience like this that you can blame directly on a home showing?

Comments (31)