SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mdispensa_gw

Advice to avoid cabinet order mistakes

mdispensa
12 years ago

Often the people you order cabinets from like to keep you from the messy details like model numbers and prices of the individual cabinets and features. They like to sit you down create your floor plan and insert the cabinets of your choice. The computer software they use generates a total price with all your options. That generates your list that goes to the manufacturer.

Our project was right on target. I had the installers and plumbers getting all the mechanicals ready and then all the cabinets arrived and my kitchen would probably have been done within a week. The first think I look at is the big corner lazy susan base cabinet. Instead of the wooden poleless susan on a fixed shelf, I got a susan with a metal pole and plastic shelves. He offered me $100 and all the hardware for free, but I was very clear I wanted the open susan. So, he will eat the cost of ordering a replacement. It turns out with the computer program, there was one letter different in the model number and to his credit the options weren't made very clear in the software. They even tell him "always check the catalog".

So my advice is to have them generate a list of the entire order including model numbers (and prices) of all the individual pieces and options. Have the full catalog and ask him to go through and check each one. Or better yet, sit down and do it yourself. We're all human and we all make mistakes so checking it once, checking it twice will save you a month of washing dishes in the bathtub.

Also, I opened all the remaining boxes of cabinets and looked at each one to make sure it is what I ordered so we won't have any more surprises. The only reason I caught the susan mistake is because it was so big, they had to take it out of the cardboard to get it in the house. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have looked and trusted it was right.

Oh and it doesn't hurt to remeasure your space. I had a friend that had a room divider at the ceiling and the cabinets wouldn't fit because measurements were taken at the floor.

Comment (1)