SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cityartist_gw

New Pool Build in Los Angeles area - a diary of the project

cityartist
11 years ago

Hi Everyone!

For medical (arthritis etc) and practical (daughter getting old enough to have swim parties, and we'd rather know where she is!) reasons, we decided to build a pool in our backyard,small as it is. We have a classic 1940 cottage style home, and already converted the front lawn in to an enclosed courtyard with hedges, and somewhat drought tolerant plants in the beds, and our backyard is 1/3 patio, 1/3 pargola area with cushioned artificial turf (under the swings and hammocks), and 1/3 lawn.

This posting (and the ones to follow) will - I hope - help others considering a pool build benefit from our faaaabulous ideas, and (more likely) learn from our "interesting" experiences! Additionally, if anyone reads something I write that suggests we are heading in the wrong direction, PLEASE let us know! We welcome any and all suggestions and input.

Based in part on previous postings in this forum, as well as the recommendations of friends, I recently contracted with Mr. Carlos Pools to build our pool and deck. Here are the specs:

13' x 32' custom-designed pool (it has to jog, at the deep end, around the pergola, so deep end is only 8' wide)

About 14' of raised bond beam around back edges (adjoining pergola), so as to provide bench seating on pergola, and

18" raised sheer descent water feature on other side

3.5 ft to 7ft depth

Solar heating system

Salt Wise salt water chlorinator

Automatic water filler

Pentair Dual Speed Pump

Pentair 420 Clean & Clear filter

French Gray plaster

The coping will be PIP colored concrete (bullnosed), and the deck will be brushed concrete, also colored.

The designs they sent to us are a *little* off (the deck on the right should run into the pergola, on the other side of that post, and not into the garden bed, for instance!), but they do give a basic idea of things.

More to come as we progress!

Comments (6)