SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riptidebsi

Pool Coping and Deck, technical and artistic ?

riptidebsi
15 years ago

Hello all,

Overview: Pool size 14' x 28 ft with curved corners.

Patio: approx 700 sq feet, poured concrete, prob 20+ years old but in decent shape with some stress cracks and a few coats of paint on top.

Prep: I have ripped out old coping and grinded the area so deck is same height as coping area, its flush.

Materials: I bought 12 x 24 x 1 1/8" travertine for coping and Marble Pavers 6 x 12 x 1 1/8 for pool deck.

Questions...

1. Coping: How the heck do I do the cuts for the radius corners? Any website with pics or insite on this would be great.

Is this the proper method for installating the travertine coping: 1/4" mortar mix with bnding agent, then mortar bed, then butter the back of travertine coping and set.

2. Deck:

Pavers - Would you recommend setting the pavers in sand or mortar? If sand what kind? Is 1/2 - 5/8 ok?

Will I need to compact the sand?

What are the pros and cons with sand installation?

If mortar, what type of setting material for up to 1/2" build up prob. I heard natural stone doesnt stick to mortar so you need to use a bonding agent. Is this bonding agent type mortar able to build up to 1/2" if necessary?

Sealing the marble and travertine: 511 Imgrenator is what one person told me, any advice? I live in south florida.

Any and all help from you guys is appreciated.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!