SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mset31ct

Would a French Door fridge work in my kitchen?

mset31CT
13 years ago

Note: I posted this in the appliances forum, but I always seem to have more responses in the Kitchen forum when I as a question! I apologize if posting this here is a no-no. Honestly I'm just curious to see if anyone else has the configuration that we have with a FD fridge. Any help is appreciated! :) Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Original post:

In a bit of a pickle with the refrigerator situation.

Long story short, I fell in love with a Whirlpool Gold FD fridge because the handles on it match our Bosch appliances perfectly, but we can't fit any Bosch fridges in our space. The Whirlpool is the next best thing that will fit and it's within budget.

The model is: Whirlpool Gold Stainless Steel 22.0 cu. ft. French-Door Bottom Freezer Refrigerator (GX2FHDXV).

They also make a single door version, but it doesn't have the hidden hinges on top (and I really like hidden hinges): Whirlpool Gold Stainless Steel 21.9 cu. ft. Single-Door Bottom-Freezer Refrigerator (GB2FHDX)

So here is the issue: based on our layout (below) we have a wall directly to the left of the fridge, which will significantly limit how far we can actually open the left door.

I've done lots of research on FD vs. single door and I understand the pros and cons of each. Honestly, this decision is purely aesthetic. I like the look of the FD w/ hidden hinges (gives it a more built-in look) better than the single door, even though the single door is more practical.

My question to the forum is: Can a FD fridge actually work on our space? Does anyone have a FD with a similar layout (wall on one side of the fridge)? I'm so afraid that I'll get it and wish I'd gotten the single door instead.

I should also mention that the space is 36 1/4" wide and the fridge itself is 32 5/8" wide. The picture below is obviously a rendering and the fridge won't take up the entire width of the space available; there will be some available open space on each side.

Comments (19)