SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmelko_gw

Home Inspections - the Good and the Not So Good

mmelko
17 years ago

What if you know that the home inspector hired by the buyer missed some pretty big things and didn't test the stuff he said he tested? Would you tell?

The "alleged buyer's" home inspector comes over, and takes pic of house (without gators, sharks or a swamp) and one of those thermal images. They send me a copy of the report with some stuff highlighted - I'm not sure what they want me to do - I guess I was supposed to write something beside all the highlighted stuff. I didn't cause they haven't sent over a contract or written offer so we didn't know what to say, we just said we'd talk about it when we all sit down to discuss the contract - anywho - in reading this report with the fancy picture (we have no idea what the thermal meant good, bad, indifferent? since he didn't explain it) and I noticed and told DH that he lied in his report. He told the buyers he checked all the faucets and ran them and the showers and I know he didn't because I went to the bathroom right after he left and the shower was bone dry, and the kitchen sink which I had polished before he came, was still dry, in fact I thought it so odd, that I checked all the sinks. So I was really surprised to see in his report that he had tested all the faucets and drains.

He also wrote up several times that one of my heat pumps was not cooling enough and claimed I had a cracked cumbustion chamber in my upstairs furnace causing carbon monoxide leakage. (I have monitors that keep the carbom monoxide measurements in memory - I guess he didn't notice those.)

My inspector didn't find any such problems, but now my DH wants everything checked out - not a problem - it was scheduled for servicing at the end of the week anyway - I'll just show my serviceman the report.

There were some other things, he seemed real focused on the aesthetic stuff, like some sticks on the roof from the recent rain, and a stain on the upstairs carpet-and then, then, he advised the buyers to get a home warranty (guess what he sells?)

I don't think he did his job very well. Would you tell? I'm afraid they would be put off if I did. I already had this stuff he missed on the estimate for repair or replacement - I'm thinking of just fixing them and letting it go.

Comments (11)