SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharilouwho_gw

Incorporating Rustic/Country Style into Brick Colonial

ShariLouWho
9 years ago

We are in the process of purchasing a very traditional brick Colonial that we absolutely fell in love with. This wasn't at all what we'd pictured for ourselves (we were thinking more along the lines of a farmhouse/lodge/etc. type home). The home is much larger than our current home, so we know additional furniture will be necessary, but I'm at this point trying to figure out how much we want to do as far as painting, etc., which of course is easier to do prior to move-in.

There are great features in the home, and looooots of wood: crown, chair and baseboards, tongue & groove paneling on the bottom half of the wall in the family room (like where wainscoting would be, not the entire wall), wood "slat" ceiling, if that makes sense, in the sunroom, and of course hardwood floors. It's a LOT of wood, and it's so gorgeous that I hesitate to paint it. On the other hand, it's a LOT of wood, so much so that it's almost overwhelming.

The kitchen is updated, but again, wood cabinets, trim, floors, etc. The dining room has painted wainscoting, chair, crown, baseboards, etc., and I like the look, although I think I might like it better with a bit more contrast.

Help!

Comments (24)