SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kateb22_gw

Just built a house, regretting the location

KateB22
10 years ago

We just built a new house, it is not quite done, we don't live there yet- and now I am regretting the location we chose. I am having a hard time with it overall.

I love the house itself, but I don't really like the location anymore!!
The other thigns is it cost way more money than I had planned on. And it cost more money than I could resell it for- by a lot. Because the sitework ended up being way more expensive than I anticipated, plus so many other added costs I hadn't anticipated. And we are not even done. And I have to still keep paying to finish it. It is stressful.
Because if we had paid this much but then it was super it would b one thing. But we paid a lot and now the location is really feeling stressful to me. For one it is too far from husbands work(25 minute commute- we right now in our rental he has a 15 minute commute).

It feels a little too far from the main area of town with the stores- it is about an 11 or 12 minute drive ( right now we are 6- though we don't love our house or neighborhood, it is closer).

It is only about 6-7 minutes from our kids' school which is one reason I chose this location. Now I am not 100% I will keepthem at this school- I may very well, but when we bought the property I had been thinking 100% at this school for the next ten years and now I don't know.

When we bought it we had been looking for 2 years. Living in a crappy rental with kids, and we were trying to meet a few different needs. We had this nice house plan we wanted to build and finally we decided on this property that we thought was bout 5- minutes farther than we wanted to be, but it gave us a big lot and privacy and quiet and 6-7 minutes from kids school.
Now there are just many things about the area that feel unappealing to me, the drives feel too far, etc. I love the hosue but wish I could rewind and have built it somewhere easier- with less costly site work than we had to do, and closer to work and downtown. I am feeling kind of freaked out and overwhelmed. We move in soon., When I am in the house I love the house but the yard is overwhelming, too much to manage, there is an area across the street ( through the woods soyou can' fuly see it) that is kind of a marsh area - pretty big- that I am now worried wil cause it to be too buggy.Etc.
ssentially, I was trying to find a balance of being quiet and peaceful and private enough, but now I feel like we will be too isolated, out in the country feeling.

So what to do? My husband says well let's just move in and see how it goes. We know we will take a huge financial loss if/when we sell. And the thing is I love the hosue, but the location no so much. I suppose if our kids stay at this school the next ten years it may be okay - in good weather 6 minutes to school seems not too bad. I am just feeling afraid of my choice and kind of regretting it, and wishing I had not gone so overbudget because it makes me feel kind of trapped.
If I knew I could sell it and get reasonably back what I put into it I would feel less pressure and more just go with it kind of. But I feel like I messed up by putting so much into it and then not liking the location! I am not sure exactly where my ideal location even would be at this point--- just know there are some big downsides to the one I chose.

Comments (43)