SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artamnesia

What should we offer?

artamnesia
17 years ago

My boyfriend and I are interested in a house and about to make an offer but having a hard time deciding what it should be. The house was originally listed over nine months ago at $239k then taken off market and relisted in December at $214k. Two weeks ago the asking price was dropped to $210k. It's been empty since December.

The house was built in 1934, some updates in 2001. 3 bedrooms, 1 bath. It's on about a 1/2 acre and it does have curb appeal. Inside it's pretty cute but not in perfect shape. The house does need new windows and roof. The basement isn't finished but it could be. the house is in a college town, right on the edge of a nice, woodsy neighborhood, but across the street from and next door to campus buildings. There's actually a large expanse of lawn between the house and any university property. My bf and I don't mind the location at all, since it's not near any kind of student housing and I may well be working at the school soon.

Is $190k plus an inspection contingency a fair offer? I feel that even though they've come down in price they are still a little high if you compare to other house sales in the area. But the age of the house, the location, and the oversized lot make it hard to get a good idea of the value. Both BF and I have owned homes before but gave them up in divorces and we are basically starting over. We'll be hard pressed to buy the house plus the washer, dryer, fridge and lawnmower that we're going to need,much less start saving for the new windows and roof. So, we don't want to spend any more than we have to, but we don't want to insult the sellers, either!

Here's a link.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Comments (30)