SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ga99

renovation costs and addition...should we even put in an offer

ga99
5 years ago

We are in an Atlanta suburb in a more popular neighborhood. We currently are in a town home and want to move to a single family home. Many of the homes in our current neighborhood are very eclectic, ranging from new homes to mid-1800s. Builders have driven up the price of land and torn down many of the old homes and made it impossible to buy anything affordable.

It's just myself and my husband and we don't want anything near the size or cost that is currently being built. There is a small (1000 sq ft) home that is asking 250K. Based on price per square foot and comps, I think they are asking too much, especially considering the market is changing around us (although we are in a more popular neighborhood we can tell things are slowing). We have considered waiting another month or so and placing an offer for 175-200K. This would leave us with 100-125K to renovate, modify the outside so that it looks like an original addition, raise ceiling, and add 600 sq ft and a garage.

Based on research it looks like in Atlanta it costs between $100-200 sq ft to build. This is a wide range, so I can't figure out if what we want to do is feasible for this amount. We want to stay at or around 300K so we can finish paying off our home in 10 years. I can't decide if it would even be a good idea to make an offer based on what needs to be done. I also don't want to call contractors because we don't even own the home. I know what I want and feel like everything doesn't have to be top of the line. I know where I can save money and where I would want to spend money. I just know that it would have to be a good enough contractor to make the needed changes so the home looks good and takes all advantage of the small amount of square feet.

Can this be done for this price, or should we hold out and hope we can find land and just build a new, small home?

Comments (9)