SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliris19

Oh yuck: another decision.... faucets

aliris19
13 years ago

I know I need to peruse the archives, but I'm wondering whether anyone is willing to give me a cliff notes cheat sheet?

I need a cleanup sink faucet. It's for a large single bowl in front of a bay window with a pretty big expanse of granite behind it.

I definitely want a faucet with a sprayer that will stay spraying without depressing a button; I use the sprayer a lot. I'd probably like a faucet that stays were you left it spray-wise when you turn off the faucet, though that's maybe expendable.

(1) I think those professional-type faucets look kinda scary - am I the only one? I'm also worried they'd be big and in the way of the window, not that the view out it is all that great or that there aren't three windows, plenty of not-great view to go around....

(2) But I don't get those professional-type hose thingies -- are they just better pull-out hoses? Do they stay put in some position of do they just always flop up and over like that? *Why* do they flop up and over like that?? What's with the wire thingey wrapping around them? Why is this superior to a pull-out faucet? Maybe because those pull-out faucets don't or stop working after a few years?

(3) Is there more than one style of pull-out hoses? Maybe spring vs weighted?

(4) I have a faucet with a sort of 'sticky' hose that you can bend to a shape and it keeps that shape. It's great. Why aren't these things more common? Is there some down-side to this? Does anyone know of one with a 'sticky' hose that *also* pulls out further?

(5) How important is the composition of the metal? Is brass the best because it doesn't rust as quickly (or at all?) ... wait, *is* brass the best? I presume this is referring to the internal metal not the external....

(6) What other issues are important in deciding what to buy? spray, arm shape, pullout style, metal composition, rise height, aesthetics, ... what else am I missing?

(7) Did you know you can buy the 1995 Pride & Prejudice BBC TV series from Costco for just $12 or so? My ordinarily utterly and always grumpy husband acted like a 3 yo near Disneyland: he just wanted to go there and watch til it was over. Amazingly good.... [what does this have to do with faucet shopping? procrastination....]

Comments (17)