SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lola99_gw

Appliqué help please hand vs machine

lola99
14 years ago

My next project is to make a wall hanging with a bunch of hand prints of 4 year olds. I have traced their hands and I had planned to use Steam a Seam 2 to put on the material IÂm going to use and stick the hands on the background until I like the way it looks. Then I was going to iron them on to permanently set them, and use my machine to stitch some fancy stitching around the hand prints (with a tear away stabilizer on the back).

However, IÂm going to be doing a lot of traveling soon, (i.e. time away from my machine) and I was thinking that maybe I could hand appliqué rather than use my machine. If I do this by hand, I was thinking about using embroidery floss and using different fancy stitches to cover the edges of the hand prints. In other words, I donÂt want to turn the edges of my hand prints under, but I do want to cover the raw edges.

1. Do you think this will work?

2. I have almost no experience with Steam a Seam 2, so I donÂt know if this will be strong enough to hold the hand prints on with just the decorative stitching, or if I need to SEW the hand prints on and then add the decorative stitching.

3. Do I need to use anything (like a stabilizer or hoop) when IÂm sewing the decorative stitching around the hands? Will it pucker if I donÂt?

Any opinions/thoughts on this project are more than welcome!

Thanks,

Lola

Comments (5)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm