SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mel2001_gw

San Diego County Fires

Mel2001
16 years ago

Hi everyone. I just got back home tonight after evacuating twice in the last two days (first from Ramona to Scripps Ranch, then from SR to El Cajon). IT'S SO NICE TO BE HOME!!! We live in the Rancho San Vicente development just outside the San Diego Country Estates boundary in SE Ramona. DH and I were in Old Town having lunch on Sun. 10/21 when we learned about the Witch (Creek) Fire. My mom and neighbors called us frequently on our cell phones to let us know what was going on. We got home around 4 pm and I started packing things up in case we had to evacuate. At 6 pm my Mom and her 3 cats evacuated from NE Ramona over to our house.

At 7:30 pm we evacuated from Ramona to Scripps Ranch to friends' house. That was an adventure: My Mom, her 3 cats (in her car), my son, 2 dogs (good ol' Pepper & Lilly!) and I in my car. DH and a few neighbors stayed to fight the fires that came to our street. Same thing happened 4 yrs ago this weekend, but this time the Witch Fire burned what the Cedar Fire didn't get. I haven't had a chance to see the damage because it's too dark, but DH tells me it's a lunar landscape on the hill next to our side yard where the pool is. I'll take photos tomorrow and post them.

DH tells me that our pool is a mess and the soot and ash are really thick at the bottom. He already called a pro pool cleaner, who's supposed to come out tomorrow or Thurs. to see what he can do. I don't care about the pool--I'm just so happy that our house was saved, as was most of our neighbors, and everyone is safe. Plus, we still have electricity, satellite, and cable. Our water is out, but should be back on tomorrow. Neighbors of ours are on well water, so they've been letting us use their bathrooms. DH is in law enforcement, so he was glad to be able to take a hot shower tonight after working a 15-hr shift.

Thanks to everyone (especially Carol/Padrefan!) with your well wishes. Please continue praying for not just S.D. County but all of So. CA. because all these fires aren't over yet. There are 7-8 fires alone still out of control in S.D. County. We don't know yet how many homes have been lost. If you're able to, listen to KOGO AM 600 radio on the Internet (www.kogo.com), which has the most accurate information ever on our fires and communities. These fires are such a bigger disaster than the Cedar Fire back in 2003, but there's only been one fire-related death to date, a BIG THANKS in part to the "reverse 911" phone alarm system that the San Diego County Sheriff's Dept. is using. MANY lives have been saved by getting those phone calls.

We've been through two catastrophic fires in just four years, but our home/neighborhood/community has survived. You wouldn't believe the outpouring of love and caring going on in San Diego right now. It's amazing!

Take care everyone, and stay safe!

Love, Melissa (aka Mel2001)

Comments (10)