SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Best Grapefruit for N. San Diego County

I am trying to find a good grapefruit variety for my area - N. San Diego County, about 7 miles from the ocean. We get pretty warm in Vista, but nothing like even 4 miles further inland (say, Escondido or even east San Marcos). My poor hubby is sick of buying poor grapefruits in the store, so I'm hoping we can find a variety that will sweeten up here in Vista. I have several citrus trees that are doing well - an Improved Meyer that is ginormous for a dwarf (over 10 feet tall and has 100 - 200 fruits at any time, it's crazy) and we back an abandoned orange orchard (Valencia I think), so we can grow citrus well here. I have a couple of other lemons and maybe? some variety of orange that are struggling a little, so I'm going to dig wells around the trees, improve the drip system (they weren't getting ANY drip, just some overhead sprinking, so they're struggling for lack of water - they're getting their own station on drip). They are all planted on the north side of my lot, facing south, on a slope, and fairly well wind-protected. Our soil is well draining and not clayish at all (almost DG, in fact, so I will be fertilizing more frequently, too.) So, best spot on the lot, I think, for citrus. I am thinking about an Oro Blanco (I know it's a cross between a grapefruit and a pummelo, but I think it is supposed to grow well here), but my hubby REALLY wants a red-fruited grapefruit. Any suggestions besides Star Ruby? I don't think it gets hot enough for Rio Red, here. Thanks!

Patty S.

Comments (9)