SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edallia

UPDATE: Interfering neighbor situation.

edallia
17 years ago

A big thank you to everyone who responded to my situation. Your replies ran the gamut of possibilities, but they gave me a lot of options to think about.

I'd already gotten my realtor to start an "incident log" of her own, and she had agreed to say something to Nosy herself. Furthermore, she has been warning the other realtors who show the house that they need to tell her if Nosy approaches them or their clients. That way, we have everything documented if Nosy doesn't stop this behavior.

Someone made the point that my ex-partner was getting off light. She was. I was pretty frustrated with her for not stepping in, because she was the only one still in the area.

The short version of this is that Nosy started discussing our finances with a potential buyer. I know this because this buyer refused to call my realtor and insisted that Nosy needed to get my XP up there to talk to him. In Nosy's voicemail to XP, she admitted to telling this man that we "really, really needed the house sold soon," and that we would probably be willing to agree to a lease-purchase on 20% of the house value (he could only get financed for 80%, I guess).

Needless to say, XP and I went pretty far beyond furious. I agreed to let XP go up there and get the full story from the horse's mouth, but told XP she'd better not talk to that man if he was still hanging around.

The man had pumped Nosy for information on the house, which she was only too happy to give. She answered some relatively benign questions about the sizes of bedrooms and whatnot (and I don't even want her saying *that*), and also answered some tremendous no-no questions such as "how long has it been on the market?" Nosy actually *did* suggest talking to our realtor, but the man refused, saying that "he couldn't make a full offer, so the realtor would just tell him no." Bzuh?

The man's wife was flailing around in the background, shrieking, "no one will HELP us! No one will HELP us!" So they sound like a total picnic to deal with anyway, and they're nagging Nosy to call XP and get her up there so they can talk to her about this lease-purchase thing. I'm sure Nosy thought she was doing the right thing by passing along this message. Although if she hadn't been in the wrong place doing the wrong thing in the first place, she wouldn't have had to worry about doing this particular good thing.

Furthermore, this man returned to the house a few times that same day and kept knocking on Nosy's door to talk to her directly. He asked Nosy if she had a key, because he wanted to see the inside of the house! I blame Nosy as well on this one, because she didn't have to keep answering her door and giving this guy information, but he does sound kind of whacko.

XP is listening to this story, and is completely unable to keep her anger from showing. Nosy actually notices this, and proceeds to backpedal furiously: "I'm not trying to sell your house for you! I'm not trying to step on your toes!", etc.

XP excused herself to call me, and ask what she should do. I demanded to know why she was wasting her golden opportunity when she knew full well what we *both* wanted to say to Nosy, she went back to Nosy's for a talk.

She actually handled it *very* well. "Look, Nosy, *I* wouldn't even answer someone's questions about my own house. *I* wouldn't show the house for anyone, because I don't know what I should say or not say that might mess up the sale of the home! So we'd appreciate it if you stopped talking to people who are looking at the house."

I thought that was a nice twist that took the heat off of Nosy and made her feel less defensive. XP and I had agreed to tell Nosy that there were two acceptable responses if someone approached her asked her a question about the house: "I don't know" or "please call the realtor."

She *seemed* to understand. I don't care if XP still gets her little voicemails about how there were X number of cars in and out today, as long as Nosy stops talking to people. XP said Nosy didn't seem to understand at all that what she was doing was not actually helpful. She kept explaining WHY she'd done it, and trying to back it up. BUT... she seemed inclined to comply with XP's requests on the basis that she didn't want to make XP mad anymore. Fine, whatever it takes.

XP FINALLY took this thing seriously enough to help me deal with it. I'm very, very grateful that she stepped in and helped me out. She's even offered to talk to Nosy's husband if the problem persists.

... all's well that ends!

God, I hope it ends. Thanks again, everyone.

Comments (5)