SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michiganrachel

Update on our landscape situation

michiganrachel
13 years ago

Many of you may remember my post from early last week about our builder taking down the trees in our yard and the upset neighbors.

Well, almost a week has gone by and the situation is looking better, but still stinks.

The good news - most of the neighbors have been pretty nice and once everything is in place I think things will be fine. We have one mean, kind of known to be a bit unbalanced neighbor who I think would find a problem no matter what we do. However, by agreeing to put a privacy fence on her side (in lieu of greenery in front of existing chain link) I will hopefully get her approval). The rest that I've spoken with have been friendly and willing to work with us and give constructive feedback on our plans.

The bad news - we didn't realize it, but as part of our historic district we were supposed to get approval to remove any trees (even scrappy, weed trees grown through lack of upkeep) and for any landscape plans. We are pretty pissed at our builder for this as he should have done the due diligence to know this. We should have also, but he is supposed to cross the t's and dot the i's and check out all city/district codes for building.

Now, we need to go in front of our historic district committee to get approval for our plan going forward. The HDC has some real a** holes on it who get a power trip and I'm sure will try to scold us like bad children. Yes, we made a mistake and we admit it. I've suffered with lack of sleep, guilt, being unable to eat, and was on the verge of a panic attack last week. I still feel bad, but I know we're doing the best we can to make the situation better. Do I need some jerks, none of whom even live in the district to scold me further? Not really. But, it is what it is and we're hoping to have some letters from neighbors saying they are good with the plan to make the approval easier.

More bad news - we will end up spending much more on our landscaping than we planned. This with a project that is already costing much more than we expected in a terrible real estate market. While excited about our house, we are regretting the decision to build. We are now going through and trying to figure out ways to cut costs in other areas - going with porcelain instead of marble in master bath, perhaps not installing our free standing tub right away, not painting everything immediately, etc.

We will get through this although it has created additional strain with the builder and stress on the entire project. It will also hold up being able to build our garage. We can't build it until we put in the big trees we now have to put in the backyard. We can't put in the big trees until we get approval from the HDC on August 3.

Thank you again to all of you for your supportive words last week. I will keep you posted. Keep your fingers crossed we do get approved when we go in to the HDC.

Rachel

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath