SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artamnesia

Ex is out of town...and his neighbors call me!

artamnesia
16 years ago

My husband and I divorced aboout ten years ago and I moved out of town. I recently moved back to his town, and bought a house a few streets from where he and I used to live (he still lives there). So far so good.

My move back to town coincided with his leaving the country for about a month and during this time, my youngest son has been going to his dad's house twice a day to tend to his animals.

A couple of weeks ago a big storm blew through town and brought down a wire outside of my ex's house and since then I've gotten dragged into a situation that just won't seem to go away. When my son first told me about the wire, I called the city police to let them know about it. The next day it was still down, so I called my ex and asked how he wanted to proceed. I called the phone company who said they would come out to take a look but since it wasn't in a public street, they might take 7 days to check it out. Meanwhile I started getting calls from his neighbors on both sides (not sure how they got my telepone number!) asking me what I was doing about it. Frankly, it's not my problem and I felt like I'd already been pretty generous with my time and energy in dealing with the problem but I let them know that Verizon was going to be coming out within the week.

After 7 days or so verizon showed up and determined that the line was actually the cable wire so one of his neighbors called the cable company and after a few days of tenacious calls, got them to come out and replace the wire to his house. That's a good neighbor and he owes her big time. Problem solved? You'd think so, but no!

Now, when my youngest goes over to his dad's house to take care of the animals he gets waylayed by the neighbor on the other side of the house and is questioned as to why he is coming over and not someone older. She's hassling him about the whole incident, claiming that the TV cable being out somehow was interfering with her 'lifeline' service (I've fallen and I can't get up), and she's taking responsibility for the resolution the issue (fine by me but not exactly accurate). She told him that he needs to have his mother give her a call. Bear in mind, she had already called me and then hung up on my husband when he declined to personally go to my ex's house and physically do something about this hanging wire.

I attempted to call her and tell her that she's not to speak to my son again (the kid is only 12), or call me with anything relating to my ex-husband's house. I looked up her number and called but I got a recording saying that her number was protected by some sort of 'ad-zap' service and to take her 'off my calling list'.

We still have a week to go before my ex returns. I've left him a couple messages but at this point I feel like an adult has to accompany my son now to do his chores at his dad's house so he doesn't come back in tears. This is nuts! Any advice?

Comments (13)