SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandra_ferguson_gw

Dresden plate 'facelift'

sandra_ferguson
16 years ago

I came across a Dresden plate quilt top, in an antique shop, a couple weeks ago, for only $20.00. I'm sure the main reason it was still there was the dreadful pink and aqua sashing.....the Plate blocks were made entirely of feed sack fabrics, including the white, and their only 'problem' was her stitching of the plates onto the background fabric. So, I replaced the sashing with a red fabric that, while it has a pattern, 'reads' red from a distance....replaced the yellow/green centers and corner sashing squares with a black moda marble....and, did a blanket stitch around all the plates, with black pearl cotton. I think these changes made all the difference in the world.

I have another purchased feed sack top, that I'm thinking of backing this one with....making a reversible quilt...I need to see how the sizes match up, but need to replace the outer border on the other one, so I can, perhaps, fudge with bigger or littler ones......have any of you ever done this sort of thing? I'm wondering about the quilting...any suggestions ? (keeping in mind that I only hand quilt). Some sort of a geometric pattern, but what? It needs to be something that has no necessary relationship to the quilt squares, as they will be different on each side.

Comments (28)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner